Whispers in the Walls

A ray of sun showed on my face, except I wasn't in the vehicle anymore. In fact, I was in a room, lying down in a bed. I made sure I was wearing the same clothes, and to my relief, I was. Squinted my eyes, I tried to block out the sun with my hand. I looked to be in a hotel room; it was very minimalistic. Propping myself up with my hands, I try to peer out the window to my left.

Flowers line the sides of the streets, and tall, white buildings towered above people walking on the sidewalks. It made me feel nauseous. I've never been in a place so prim and proper in my life, and it made me feel out of place. Like a dirty rag thrown in with expensive linens. I stood up and went to the window, trying to get a better look down the street. There was no doubt that I was in the Upper City, but where in the Upper City was the question. A knock came from my door.

"May I come in?" Lucas's voice echoed through the door. I paused for a second.

"Um, yeah, sure," I respond.

The door creaked open, and Lucas entered. He started up a coffee maker on a side table and helped himself. He held out a cup to me as an offering, but I politely shook my head. He shrugged as if saying, 'suit yourself,' and put the cup back. We both sat in awkward silence for a couple of minutes. I break it.

"So...Where am I?"

He thought for a moment, "Sentinal Guard Headquarters, I sent you to the private suites. They aren't used often. I apologize if it's dusty," he responded.

"It's better than the old shack I had to live in..." I say with a sigh.

I leaned on the wall next to the window, continuing to look outside. I could feel Lucas gaze at me with curiosity, but he didn't ask any questions. He looked like he was holding back asking something since the incident in the vehicle but didn't want to say it out loud. I ignored it.

"What now?" I ask.

He hesitated, "The hearing isn't for a couple of days, and it's probably best that we don't go to visit your friend."

I nodded and plopped back down onto the bed. Another headache started forming, creating an uncomfortable pressure in the front of my skull. 'A couple of days,' he said. I rolled my eyes with them closed and popped my neck.

"And?" I continued, "What do I do in the meantime? I can't just stay here."

He sat in a chair to the right of the coffee table in front of the bed, "Well, we could go out and get you actual clothes to wear," he chose his words carefully, "Not many people would appreciate the way your dressed. You look...threatening. Like you're from the slums."

I gave him a blank stare, "I am from the slums."

"Yeah, well, people here don't like people from the slums. You're an outsider here." He explained.

"I'm well aware," I said monotonously, "But how am I supposed to get clothes if I go out wearing this?" I indicated to my clothes. He thought for a moment.

"Well, first of all, you're covered in dirt. Your hair is so oily that I'm not sure if it is blonde or brown, and I can't even see your face correctly," he said, disregarding any manners that he once had, "You go wash up. I'll find something you can wear. I have a friend who will understand."

I sat there in shock. He just insulted me in four different ways and didn't see anything wrong. Then again, he wasn't wrong. I looked in the mirror behind him, glaring at myself. In fact, he was completely right. I couldn't remember the last time I could clean myself with clean water. My hair was greasy and disheveled, even with a hair tie in, and I was covered head to toe in dirt and mud, my face being the dirtiest. I guess I never put in enough effort to notice...and didn't own a mirror.

I sigh and agree, standing up and opening the bathroom door. I turn back and call Lucas.

"Go ahead. It'll take me a minute." I urge him. He nodded and walks out of the suite, locking the door behind him. I turn back to the bathroom and stare at it in awe. Marble floors and countertop with the most expensive-looking shower I had ever seen in my life. Everything I would ever need- including body wash and the best-smelling shampoo and conditioner I had ever smelled in my life- was in there. I hadn't been able to shower like this since I was five.

After I finished, I wrapped a towel around my torso and peeked out the door. A dark green, flowered dress lay on the bed with a pair of black heels. I took the dress and quickly changed into it. I ran back into the bathroom and dried my hair with an actual hairdryer, making my hair its natural, wavy shape. When I looked into the mirror, I saw a girl who I hadn't seen in years. Light blonde hair flowed from my head, freckles dotted my face, and my hazel eyes almost glittered. I almost wanted to cry, but I stopped myself and sighed.

"I look like a tart..." I say, my gaze falling on my beautiful flowered dress. I felt like I was overdressed, but if I looked outside, I was wearing the same style of clothing that every other girl was wearing. A knock came from my door once again.

"You ready? I've been waiting for, like, 15 minutes," Lucas called from the other side. I quickly ran to the door, almost tripping in my heels, and open it.

"Sorry," I apologized, "I got a bit distracted."

He took a slight step backward, blinking several times as if trying to clear his vision. Looking me up and down very quickly in awe, he cleared his throat.

"Apologies, I almost thought you were somebody different," he explained.

"I feel different. But I'm not sure if I like it or not. I look like..." I paused, "...a doll."

"Is that a bad thing?" He asks. I shrug.

"It depends on how you view dolls," I respond. He nodded his head as if agreeing and turned away, beckoning me with him.

"Come on. We don't have all day. Maybe we can get you some actual shoes that you won't trip in," he said, brushing it off. I rolled my eyes and walked quickly behind him, letting him lead the way through the massive complex.

"Psst! Hey!"

I whip my head around, startled. Pausing, I scan the area behind me. I heard somebody whisper to me, but I saw nobody there.

"Did you hear that?" I tugged at Lucas's sleeve, "Did you hear that whisper?"

He looked at me, obviously confused, "What are you talking about?" He asked. I shake my head.

"Nevermind."