The Accused

"Thanks," I said.

As he wandered off to get me something, I saw an odd figure standing outside the window. I came to the realization of who it was. Panic spreads across my face.

"Todd, Todd! There's a Sentinel outside!" I yell in disarray.

He looked up from what he was doing, "What? Sentinels don't come down here!"

"Yeah, no shit! That's why I'm telling you!"

He rushes over, throwing the very legal substances on his desk into his drawers. Then, he rushed to sit down. I stand up straight, leaning on his counter as if I'm just there to pass the time.

The door bursts open.

A tall boy entered the shop, but he looked like he was as old as me and was about 6'0. His face was young compared to other sentinels that I'd seen. He was pale, had slick black hair, bright green eyes, and a piercing gaze, even with the glasses he wore.

"Welcome!" Todd said nervously, "Would ya like a beer?"

The boy looked at him for a second, then spoke, "Sorry, I'm only 19, but your offer is appreciated," He responded.

I look at him, dumbfounded. Was he...being polite toward us? I thought I'd never see the day that a Sentinel would say that he 'appreciates an offer.' But here he was, standing literally right in front of me. I let my face soften but didn't let my guard down.

"Is there anything you need... Uhm.." I began, not knowing what I should call him.

"Lucas," he stated, somehow knowing what I was struggling with.

"Right. Is there anything you're looking for, in particular, Lucas?" I ask

He got straight to the point, "There was a recent disturbance near the slums recently. I was sent here to check it out,"

" I see; maybe I can help you? What kind of disturbance was it?" I ask.

"I'm looking for a man named Todd. He was linked to the recent smuggling of illegal goods from the Upper City. I was told I could find him here?" He inquired.

Oh...Oh no.

I look at Todd, who had forgotten to throw his name tag in his drawers. I look him directly in his eyes with complete and utter shock. Then worry spread across my face, but I tried to play it off with a smile. A look of guilt was already starting to spread across Todd's face, completely giving it away.

Lucas looked at Todd, then his name tag, and sighed, "Sir, I'm afraid you must come with me. I have to arrest you," Lucas explained.

Shit! Todd's my only source of income!

"Is that really necessary? I mean, can't you just question him here?" I knew the panic could be heard in my voice, but I didn't care.

"I'm sorry, miss, you look really kind and helped me a lot, but it isn't my place to question him. I have to take him to the higher-ups," He sighed, with a little bit of sympathy in his voice.

"Please! He's like a father to me! You can't arrest him!" I beg.

"Well...if you're that close to him, I might have to take you too, for questioning," he said, with a hint of annoyance.

There it was.

So he was like the rest of the Sentinels, after all. Todd gets up and willingly lets the Sentinel arrest him.

"What are you doing? You surely aren't related to this! Please, Todd, don't tell me you were actually related to this!" I knew that tears were starting to form in my eyes. I thought that I was the only one Todd needed. He had enough money. Surely he didn't do this just to get extra money, right?

"I- I'm sorry, kiddo. You can't hide from your actions forever..." he trailed off. Betrayal was the only thing I felt. The Sentinel began to take him away.

"Wait!" I call out, "Take me with you!"

The Sentinel looked back at me, "I'm really sorry, miss, but I was sent to take him, not anyone else," he explained, "I can't take you with me."

"Can't? Or won't?"

He paused, "Won't."

My bottom lip quivered, "You Sentinels come into our land and take our people, but you're so cruel that you won't even let a girl say goodbye to someone who took care of her. Even when nobody else would?" I scoffed in disbelief, "You won't even let me see him off to jail?"

My response took him off-guard.

"Fine," he said, sighing, "I'll take you with me, but only if you at least try to act like you know what's going on and keep to your own business!"

He was only a year older than me, yet he gave me orders like I was a child to him.

"Fine." I agree reluctantly.

He signaled me to follow him. Todd was in chains before him, not speaking a single word, probably for the best, though. He led me over to a little vehicle that actually had wheels.

"The SG just can't afford hover vehicles or what?" I ask sarcastically.

"Actually, wheeled vehicles are more sturdy than hovers. Thank you for your concern, though," he said, throwing my sarcasm right back at me. I mutter silently and hop into the passenger's seat. Todd was forced into the back of the vehicle, which was separated by steel bars from the rest of the vehicle. The Sentinel hopped into the driver's seat, and we took off. I leaned my head on the window beside me.

"So, Sentinel, why did they only send you?" I asked.

He thought for a second, "Please just call me Lucas. I don't really like the term 'Sentinel.'" he paused, "But I don't actually know. I think it's a recruitment test."

"So you're not even an actual Sentinel yet?" I asked, surprised. He grimaced and didn't speak further on the topic. Neither did I.

"How long will he be in jail for?" Sadness returned to my voice.

Lucas's eyes widened, and he looked a little nervous, "Well, actually..." he paused. "He is to be trialed and put to death."