Chapter 1

hi again,
yeah, i know i posted the first chapter of a totally different fic and disappeared for a month. should i have focused on that fic and tried to write it? yes. did i get sucked into writing this after listening to all too well by taylor swift? yes. yes i did. hope y'all can forgive me ;-;

Chloe tugs on my arm, summoning me back to reality from the daydream world I was lost in. I turn to face her, and she's frowning, like she does when she's worried about me. I smile back, letting her know I'm fine. I'm actually in a good mood today.

We're heading up the front steps into the entrance hall of the high school we both attend. It's the start of senior year, and I have an unusually positive attitude towards it. Usually the start of a school year is my least favourite time of year. The holidays are my favourite time, because I don't have to spend my time surrounded by people I don't like all that much. School just reminds me of how few friends I have.

There's Chloe, obviously, my best friend. She's unnaturally smart, and pretty, but also kind of shy, and likes to keep mostly to herself. Totally contradictory to her bubbly, loud, outgoing girlfriend Dawn who's captain of the cheerleading squad and seems to naturally be the centre of attention at all times.

Then there's Gary, I guess. He's very popular, and we used to be close, but in the last couple of years we've drifted apart, and now he hardly speaks to me at all. He's constantly surrounded by a gaggle of girls.

Other than that, I don't have anyone else. It's not because I'm unpopular, or nasty, or anything like that. It's just because I don't feel like I need anyone else.

"What class do you have now?" Chloe asks, pulling out her new lesson plan and squinting at it.

"English," I say. I memorised my schedule yesterday so I wouldn't need to pull it out between every class. "You?"

"Biology," she sighs. "Looks like we're not in the same class."

My heart sinks a little, but I try not to let it ruin my good mood. It's okay that Chloe's in a separate class this year. Maybe it's time to make a new friend anyway? Besides, maybe Dawn will be in my class. We haven't seen her yet this morning since she was running late this morning so told us to leave without her. No doubt she's running here now, a piece of toast sticking out of her mouth. Of course, even if she slept in, she'll have spent as much time as she needed to fix her hair, consequences be damned.

"I'll catch you later, then?" I say as we reach the stairs I need to ascend to reach the classroom my class is in. Chloe's still frowning, like she's worried I won't be okay without her. It makes me feel a little pathetic. I want to prove to her that I'm fine on my own, because I really am. I'm eighteen, not twelve.

"Alright. See you soon." She gives me a little wave before heading down the corridor, disappearing from view. I suck in a deep breath and climb the stairs, weaving through the hallways until I find the classroom. I know it like the back of my hand, because it's the same classroom I had my English lessons in last year, too.

Unfortunately, Dawn's not in my class either. When I step inside all of the seats are already filled but one beside a noisy, infuriating guy that's known for winding everyone up at every given opportunity. I pinch the bridge of my nose in annoyance. It's fine, Goh. You can just ignore him.

"Yo," he says as I take the seat beside him, swinging my bag over my shoulder onto the floor. I incline my head in greeting, then go back to ignoring him, waiting for the professor to start the class. I really don't want to waste any time socialising with someone.

The professor walks in a moment later. I don't recognise him, which means he's new here, but he doesn't seem nervous at all. He strolls right in front of us, holding a book up in one hand. I squint to read the title and see it's called After Dark . I've never heard of it.