Chapter 8

I woke up lying down on a leather couch in someone's office. I could hear faint music from the background which meant I was still at the club. I heard the rustle of a chair and in an instant Luca was at my side. He helped me sit up. My head was throbbing and my body felt weary. In the corner of my eye, a dark figure moved. I looked up to see Abele standing near the door. All at once, the memory of earlier came crashing down like a harsh whip of a waterfall. I screamed and ran to a corner of the room, farthest from the two imposing men.

"It was you! I know it was you outside! You killed that man!" I pointed a finger at Abele. I couldn't stop from resembling a man during his manic episode. Then, Luca stood up and walked in my direction.

"Stop! Don't come near me!" He stopped in his tracks. "He mentioned Mr. Moretti. I know you're part of it too." I was heaving in panic hardly able to sound out the words emitting out of my lips. However, I knew he understood. The muscle on his jaw twitched. His posture became rigid and he put on a mask of indifference.

"You were drunk. You wanted to find the washroom but you passed out before you could find it."

"No! Luca don't lie!"

"You dreamt everything. The alcohol must have gotten to you." He made a cogent explanation. I doubted my own recollection of earlier for a moment. It was compelling to just believe his version of the truth. Surely, this would free me from the burden of witnessing a murder. I couldn't believe it but somehow I wasn't all that surprised.

"I've been drunk before Luca! I was more wasted then than I was now. I know what I saw!" I hissed the last part to assert how serious I was. The situation was stressful and overwhelming. My hands covered my face as uncontrollable tears erupted from eyes. Unexpectedly, Luca walked forward and enveloped me in his strong arms. I refused to accept his offer of solace that came with his warm embrace. I fought him hysterically but his gripped only tightened.

"Shhh...shhh...shhh...," he cooed. "Everything is going to be alright. I promise you have nothing to fear from me. No harm will come to you." His hand softly rubbed my back with tender care. After a while, I felt my body grew tired and I stopped fighting.

"Where are my friends?" I asked him quietly with my head laying on his chest.

"They left a minute ago. I thought you didn't want them to worry so I had someone tell them we left during the time you were unconscious," he said calmly. I wasn't satisfied with his answer. It felt as if it was rehearsed.

"We both know that's not the reason. You didn't want me telling them." I whispered. His hand ceased its movement and his body stiffen.

"There is nothing for you to tell. Besides, I promise your safety but not theirs," his toned of voice guised itself as serene tranquility. However, I knew better because I recognized his words for what it was - full of implication. Without warning, I pushed myself away from him with the little strength I had left. He was caught off guard and he finally let go. I faced him head on simmering with anger.

"Is that a threat?! Are you telling me right now that if I tell anyone you'll do something to my friends?!"

"You were so drunk your mind created this nightmare. I will not do anything to your friends because I know you're a smart girl. You will not let foolish nightmare cloud your mentality. You wouldn't do anything stupid." There he was again with his ambiguous warning. Right from the beginning, I perceived this ominous feel about him. I felt this foreboding danger but nothing could have prepared me for this. I finally confirmed Luca's true nature and it was worse than I thought. I might as well had seen him pull the trigger. I couldn't get rid of this feeling that he was a bigger player than the murderer himself. I almost forgot Abele was still standing by the door. Aware of his presence again, I looked at him. His expression was apologetic. I gave him an angry fixed gazed when he cleared his throat.