Hell's Angels [30]

Epilogue

Walking through the lobby of Satani Media, duffle bag in hand, I approached the glass doors with trepidation in my heart. There had been silence between us all since I had walked away from Lucius. And then he called. And I had I come running. Only something serious would have made the man break his stubborn moping session.

Walking out to the black minivan that looked too much like a mummy wagon, I could already hear its engine purring.  Lucius was in the front with Castiel in the passenger seat. Both refused to look at the other though Lucius was acting more childish with a pout on his lips and his arms folded across his chest. Damned man was a child.

Climbing in the back, I smiled at the other fallen angels who were sprawled about in the back of the minivan in various states of consciousness. I settled in to the only available seat and strapped myself in. the plug had barely clicked into place before the minivan lurched into gear and sped off down the road.

The street lights blinked feebly on our way but with no one else around, Lucius completely ignored any traffic laws as he sped down the tarmac. I felt slightly sick as the world flew by outside of the windows and I clutched onto the head rest in front of me to brace my weight against the driver’s erratic steering.

“What was so urgent?” I asked when I could not take any more of the suspense.

The silent tension in the car was stifling and I hoped someone would just say something but when I met Lucius gaze in the rear view mirror he just clenched his jaw and returned his attention on the road ahead.

“You can’t leave me hanging like this!” I told him, punching my fist into the head rest before shooting an apology at Castiel when he got the jolt from it on the other side. “You make me leave the children, stop me from going to see Danny and all you do is tell me to pack a bag. And you’re not even going to tell me where we are going?”

“We’re going to somewhere cold, is that not enough for you?”

Lucius snarky reply surprised me and the man was lucky he was driving or I would have giving him a slap for that.

“No it’s not enough.”

“Fine. If you want to know, we’re going to the bloody north pole.”

I frowned and fell back against the seat, the answer hitting me unexpectedly.

“Why?”

“Where else? Can you think of any place on this earth where people are less likely to look?” i shook my head as I met his eyes in the rear view mirror. “He’s hiding and we are the ones who have to find the stubborn old codger.”

Santa land? I hoped that was one story that wasn’t real. There were too many things becoming real these days.

 I shivered and the blood drained from my face as I felt my stomach drop into my toes. I knew we were going to go on a hunt for him but my mind had never factored in the arctic winds and frozen grounds into the equation.

I gulped and offered a shaky smile though not too sure who I was trying to impress while my mind was plagued with bleak thoughts of the coming days. Who knew where this latest adventure would lead. All I could do was hold on tight and go along for the terrifying ride.