Alyssa, Breath of our Enemy

I stood there on top of the zip line towers that were erected on the rim of the dormant volcano's crater. I peered down from the high towers at the village inside the crater, Lancer's Haven, my home. I looked around and there were other towers to my sides about sixty feet away from me, to my left was Kit and to my right was his best friend Drayce.

"This has to be the worst thing a slayer does!" Drayce yelled, he turned to look at me, he was still strapping his harness over his armor.

"Should've stayed with ground support!" I teased him.

We heard a blood-curdling roar coming from our right side.

Drayce connected his harness to the zip line wire that was heading downward onto a shorter tower, Kit and I had already connected ours. I looked around to see if our other teammates were ready for battle, they were. We were going to kill a horde of dragons that had been traveling to Haven to wipe out one of humanity's last settlements, as we traveled down back into the village by zip line we'd kill however many dragons we could with our spears and continue the battle on the ground. I looked up again to the towers opposite of us. Michael, our leader, lit his torch and signaled for us to descend.

"Al-alright guys!" Kit yelled nervously as he traveled won the zip line. I followed him and we began to see some dragons approach us, the dragons attacking were pale and skinny but had razor sharp teeth, perfect for tearing off flesh.

"Flesh Reavers?" Drayce asked. "This'll be easy!"

We stabbed the dragons to death with our spears and watched them all fall, one of the Reavers began to try to chew Kit's zip line wire. Little did it know these wires were covered in steel.

"Keep trying!" I taunted it as I saw a spear puncture its chest and send it falling to its death.

I looked up to see Annette was the one who threw the spear, she was right next to Kit.

"You know it wouldn't have broken my wire right?" Kit asked her.

"Can't take any chances." She replied.

"Its the alpha!" Drayce called out, pointing to Cayde, the most skilled slayer battling with a dark blue dragon with black spikes protruding out of its skin.

Alpha's were unique dragons that usually lead hordes, this one was a Lead-Skin Drake.

"Stop toying with it already!" I cheered Cayde on.

Cayde swiped his halberd around, cutting the drake several times. It flew backwards and charged for Cayde's wire, its spikes made a terrible noise as they cut through the wire.

"No!" Kit cried out as he watched Cayde fall through the sky.

He turned around in mid fall and threw his halberd at the alpha, it tore through the wing and sent it plummeting downward. Cayde grabbed the neck of a Reaver that passed by him and steered downward to Haven.

"I'll be damned." Annette chuckled as she watched him get to safety on the dragon.

We all made it to the short towers and climbed down to Haven to continue the fight.

"That was way too close!" Kit took his harness off.

"What was?" Drayce asked him.

"If Cayde hadn't taken down that alpha we would've been killed!"

"Not true, I'm sure Michael or maybe Annette would've saved us."

"Lets get moving, I see a few dragons making their way down here." I interrupted.

We traveled throw the streets looking for more dragons to kill but didn't find any.

"Holy crap did we kill all of them in the sky?" Drayce asked.

"Probably, those ones I saw must've been dead." I shrugged.

We continued to walk around the village, there was no villagers walking around, great all of them went underground like they were supposed to.

"What's that?" Kit asked the ground began to shake.

"Hopefully not the volcano." I looked at the ground, I got myself a little nervous.

"Worse!" Drayce yelled. "Run!"

I turned around and saw the alpha dragon was still alive, it couldn't fly but it could crawl. It bared its teeth at us and charged us.

"Not today!" Kit threw his spear at the dragon, it simply bounced off one of its spikes. "Crap!"

We ran away from it as far as we could until it backed us into a dead end. I stared at the dragon as it slowly crawled over to us, seeking vengeance.

"This is probably the end of the line." I thought to myself.

I readied my spear, Kit was backed up against the wall behind us, and Drayce threw his spear at the creature. The spear became lodged in the dragons eye, angering it even more.

"Drayce! Do it!" Kit yelled.

"She's right here!" Drayce yelled.

"Do what!?" I questioned them, I don't care what he did, as long as it got us out of here alive.

Drayce ran in front of me, he took a deep breath and began to breathe fire. His flames incinerated the dragon in a matter of seconds. I threw myself against the wall to get away from him.

"What the hell!" I yelled in disbelief.

"Calm down!" Kit tried to calm me down. "That's all he'll do!"

Drayce turned around, his eyes were glowing orange.

"Don't tell anyone..." He looked at me. "Please."