Ch. 5

20 years ago
• • •
Piper's POV
"I never heard Mommy yell until today. Daddy made her really mad. That was why I was late today." I said. Jess nodded. "I'm sorry." He said. I shrugged as I grabbed the Crayon box and searched for the perfect pink.

I sighed. "Jess?" I finally managed. "Yeah?" He asked. I looked up at him. He stopped coloring. "I'm scared." I weakly said. A tear flew down my face as Jess gave me a hug. "It'll be okay. I promise." He said.

I held out my pinky. "Pinky promise?" I asked. He locked our pinky fingers. "Pinky promise." He said. I hugged him again.

When Mommy came to pick me up, Daddy was waiting in the car. Daddy was crying. He slowly got out of the car and met us on the sidewalk. "Hey, nugget." He sniffled. I hugged him. He sighed.

"Baby, we need to tell you something." Mommy said as Daddy and I pulled away. "I'm...I'm going away." She said. "What? Like, a work trip?" I asked. She shook her head. "I'm gonna go live somewhere else." She said as she bent down. "All of us?" I asked. "No, just me." Mommy said as she fiddled with my coat. "You're...you're leaving?" I asked. I turned to Daddy. "You aren't in love anymore?" I asked. "Honey, some people just don't stay in love forever." Daddy said.

That was when I ran. "Piper!" My mom yelled. I ran through the parking lot and across the Chick-fil-a that was next to school.

I ran inside the mall and hid behind a sign. I waited for Mommy and Daddy to come find me. I hoped they wouldn't, at least not for a little while. 

Don't married people stay in love? Isn't  that why they got married, because they were in love? Or, maybe, it had to do with Daddy acting strange.

"I think Daddy loves someone else."