I: Mistletoe and Holly

Sam and Castiel sat in the kitchen as they each took turns calling those who were coming to the party. "G'morning," Dean groaned, rubbing his eye when he stepped in the kitchen. "Morning, Dean." Sam replied. "Cas and I just got done with calling people and so far, no one has cancelled yet." Dean swooshed his hands, directing it down at Castiel's legs that were taking up the seat. "Move your legs. What are you talking about?" Cas rolled his eyes and moved his legs. "The Christmas event that we've been planning for weeks, Dean." Then, Dean remembered. "Oh, that. Well, have fun with that." Sam sighed. "Dean, just because you don't have a date, doesn't mean you're not coming." Dean sipped his coffee. "Yes it does." Cas sighed. "Dean, it doesn't matter if you don't have a date. We've been planning this with you for weeks and you can't just back out now. Who knows- if you're so worried about not having a date for Christmas, you could still get one. We still have a week until Christmas. Please just don't ditch this party due to stupid love." Dean rolled his eyes. "Fine. But if I don't have a date in time for the Christmas Eve party, I'm gonna go get drunk and wind up in the middle of nowhere. Now where are those pancakes? I can smell em." Sam pointed to the fridge. "We left you a short stack."

Dean grabbed the pancakes out of the fridge and grabbed the syrup. "I'm going to my room to eat. See ya." Cas sighed as Dean left. "I think you should talk to him," Sam said. "What? Why me?" Cas asked, frighten. "Oh, come on. Dean opens more to you than he does to me. And we're related. That says a lot. Please?" Cas rolled his eyes. "Fine. I'll talk to him." Cas got up and started to walk out of the kitchen when he heard Sam yell, "Thank you!"

Castiel knocked on Dean's door. "Dean? Can I talk to you?" No answer. Cas took that as a yes, but was cautious. One time, he wasn't, and walked in on Dean changing. Dean didn't seem to be bothered by it, but Cas felt like he violated the hunter's privacy. "I'm coming in," he said as he opened the door and stepped in. "Look, I know you don't want to go to this party, but it's gonna be fun. Please don't drop out now." Dean wiped his mouth. "Cas, it's not that I don't want to go, it's just that I don't want to be at a Christmas party without having someone to be with. We've been hunting for years and I tried having a relationship, but you saw how that went- I just don't want to be alone." Cas moved over and sat at the table with him. "You're not alone, Dean. You have Sam, and me, and literally everyone else who's gonna be at the party." Dean sipped his coffee. "Cas, I don't think you get it- I know I'm not alone. I just want to find love. Look at Sam. He's got Eileen. Claire, she's got Kaia. Me, I've got no one to kiss under the mistletoe. Thank you for checking in on me, but I don't feel like going without a date." Cas felt like telling Dean everything that he's been hiding for years, but knew he couldn't. "If someone asks you out to the party, then will you go?" Dean finished the last pancake. "I'll think about it." Cas grabbed the plate from Dean and headed for the door. "I see you later then?" Dean smiled. "Yeah. I'll be out in a bit."

And with that, Castiel opened the door, and left.

~~~~