White Knight: Chapter 7

"You just never know, do you?" Kaja pulled up two stools to the counter as they watched the brownies in the oven. Thomas insisted someone stay with them and she'd volunteered. She was the chef, after all. He sacrificed himself to assist Matt entertain the patrons waiting for dessert. To pass the time, they'd filled up the industrial coffee makers with ground beans and set them to percolate.

Sophie plopped onto the empty seat. "About what?"

"When I started this shelter, I didn't understand relying on the generosity of the town would be so hit or miss. There's enough wealth down the street at Yale to fund ten shelters, but still we struggle. Every now and again, someone walks through those doors and you never know if they will be here for a few hours, check their volunteer box for the year and leave, never to be seen again." Her gaze drifted to the door separating the kitchen from the dining hall. "Then there are the days when a true kind-hearted person shows up and our little community shifts. It gets bigger and better for their presence."

"You think Thomas is one of those people?"

"Don't you feel it?"

Sophie played with the hem of her apron. "My judgement of people hasn't been the greatest lately."

Kaja nudged her knee. "You think too much. Put aside your rules and regulations and look at the boy." Sophie glanced at the oven, where the brownies were just starting to fill the kitchen with the aroma of baked goodness. "Look at his actions. They speak louder than words."

"Could all just be an act." She rubbed her hands on her jeans. Why were her hands so cold suddenly?

"To what end, Sophie." Kaja swept her hand in the air. "The only people he's impressed are a teen obsessed with chess, an old lady and..." She raised an eyebrow.

Sophie gulped air. "Me?"

"Yes. You."

As if to further highlight the theory, the oven dinged and chimes emitted from the phone. "Let's see if—"

Thomas burst through the door. "The brownies!"

Sophie peered through the oven door and caught the smile on her face. "They look done."

A ghost-like image of Thomas joined her reflection in the pale glass. His gaze met hers. "Let's test them." She held the door as he pricked the closest batch, the fork coming away practically clean. "They're perfect."

"I'll get the platters." Kaja opened a cupboard as Sophie and Thomas removed the pans.

As he intended, the foil made freeing each rectangle quick and easy. Thomas admired their handiwork. "Can we pop them in the fridge for a few minutes? Don't want anyone to burn the roof of their mouth."

With the meal over, the fridge was almost bare and fitting the wire racks with the brownies required very little effort, one on each shelf. Coffee made, together they transported the urns to the hall and set them on the side table.

"Time for pie." Garret rubbed his hands together.

"There's been a change of plans." Thomas ignored the groans. "Sophie here was kind enough to let me make you Pumpkin Brownies instead. They'll be out in a minute."

Garret leaned back in his seat. "That's not tradition."

Sophie stepped forward, shoulder to shoulder with Thomas. "We thought we'd start a new tradition." Her hand landed on his bicep, the sturdy muscles beneath the cotton seemed to relax at her touch.

"Plus, there's a special ingredient." His gaze met hers and tiny butterflies stirred under her breastbone. Love. He was going to say love. The odd thing was, she wouldn't mind hearing the sentiment. Because there was something special about today and maybe, if she listened to Kaja and let this boy in her world might shift. For the better.