White Knight: Chapter 5

"You had one task." Sophie had followed Thomas into the kitchen, not expecting to walk into a disaster zone.

The acrid fumes caught in her throat before she saw the charred remains of what was to be dessert. The lack of oxygen did nothing to quell the fire in her chest at this playboy's error.

"My alarm..." Thomas pulled his phone from his pocket, like the device was a time machine and he could undo his error. "It didn't go off or—"

"I need pies, not excuses." Eyes the color of the moss met hers and a dash of remorse at her harsh words sprinkled over the panic creeping up her spine. She glanced away and headed for the back office. "Maybe there's something left in the emergency fund, and I can run to the 7-Eleven and buy some—" her stomach lurched at the concept — "packaged pies."

She paused in the doorway and a hard chest bumped against her back, followed by an "oof". The flirty touch of Thomas from before had disappeared, and his proximity only managed to irk her further. "Do you mind?"

"I can fix this."

"How?" Sophie forced her teeth to unclench. "There's a hundred kids out there who are expecting dessert."

Thomas pulled out his wallet. "I'll go buy the pies. And anything else they have. I'll make this right."

Great. The rich boy was going to throw money at the problem. These people deserved a decent home-cooked meal, and she'd been determined to provide. It was a point of pride to make everything from scratch, create healthy and delicious food that was more than just checking a box on a charity's to do list.

Still, they had no other option.

"It's my fault." Matt stood in the middle of the kitchen, kneading his beanie between his two hands. "I turned off your alarm." The boy hung his head. "We kept getting interrupted and you're the only decent player to walk in here in weeks."

Cold water dumped on the flames of ire she'd been fanning. Today was more than just a meal for many who visited the shelter. For Matt, it was an opportunity, an escape from the toils of his every day. A single mother who worked two jobs, one of which was as a server at Rouge, which kept her out of the house long hours, on weekends and holidays. She was across town right now, serving people like Thomas while her son hung out at the shelter, so he wouldn't be alone on Thanksgiving.

Sophie moved to console the boy, but Thomas got there first. "Hey." He placed a hand on Matt's shoulder. "You're the best opponent I've had in months. My dad hasn't had time for a match in I don't know how long." The corner of his mouth twitched, and Sophie wondered if it was at a pleasant memory or from regret. Thomas dipped his head. "How about I come back this weekend and we play a proper game? Uninterrupted."

Matt's head shot up and Sophie's lungs constricted at the look of hope in the boy's eyes. "You mean it?"

This time she could tell Thomas's smile was genuine, a dimple forming on his left cheek, his eyes glinting. "Are you kidding? Miss my chance to clear the board without even touching my queen. You couldn't keep me away."

And just like that, the warmth spreading under Sophie's sweater had nothing to do with disappointment. The man before her, who she was ready to take his lack of consideration as an act of sabotage, might actually be sincere. Okay, he looked very sincere as he looped an arm over Matt's shoulders and the heat shot south and pooled in her abdomen.

"Still, we have to fix this." The lava surged at Thomas's use of the word we. In that moment, she didn't feel alone in this foreign town. Here in the overpowering warmth of the shelter's kitchen, a sense of family wrapped around her like a cozy blanket.