Chapter 4

Zahra

The morning brightness streams through my window, casting an intense light in my eyes, and I pull my black comforter over my head, doing my best to avoid the rays like the plague. After the anxiety attack I had last night completely drained any of the remaining energy I had after my flight, getting out of this bed is the last thing on my mind. Sure, I had taken a short nap after I'd unpacked my things, but it wasn't enough. All I want to do is sleep.

Laying there, I think back to last night. The last thing I remember is Jacob taking me in his arms; I recall the warmth of his skin through his t shirt and shudder, missing the feeling of being wrapped in his pleasant embrace.

It's totally bizarre knowing I'd become so comfortable with a complete stranger. I don't even think I'd talked to him for more than thirty minutes before I fell asleep, and even then it wasn't much. I basically only know his first name, and that his mom passed away when he was young.

I want to know the small things, though: his favorite color, and food; what he likes to do for fun, his pet peeves, and the things he can't live without. I realize now that I just want to get to know Jacob for who he is; I want to see the soft, gooey center hidden beneath his hard exterior.

A light knocking at my door breaks me from my thoughts, and I groan, "I'm dead. Go away."

I hear Sue laugh from the hallway. "Zahra Abigale Mattheson, get your little butt up or I'm going to feed your chocolate chip pancakes to your cousins. Oh, and you have company."

Me? Company?

Wait, did she just say chocolate chip pancakes? "Okay, okay! I'm alive! Keep their greedy paws off my pancakes or I will skin them both while they breathe and wear them as a coat!"

Aunt Sue laughs again, this time louder, and I stumble out of bed towards my closet. I decide staying in is the only option for today, all of the craziness from yesterday having taken a huge toll on me already, and settle for a more comfortable outfit. I search around in my drawers for my Batman sweats, gray, with big yellow letters down the left leg displaying the hero's name, and a matching tank top, black with the Batman symbol displayed proudly on the chest; to complete my look, I put on some fuzzy black slippers, then make my way out of my bedroom and down the stairs.

The sweet aroma of Aunt Sue's pancakes assaults my nose, and I nearly groan in anticipation. Seth and Leah have already eaten at least eight to themselves(each), and are making their way towards the mountain of sweet goodness in the center of the table.

"Save some for Zahra, guys. She needs this more than you do. She doesn't have an Emily." A familiar voice rings out, sending chills down my spine; making butterflies erupt in my stomach.

Jacob is in the kitchen, and I am suddenly feeling massively under dressed.

I contemplate racing back up to my room, and changing into some skinny jeans, but decide against it when Seth makes my presence known. "Hey, Z, can I eat your pancakes?"

Darn you, Seth. "No, you may not. I want breakfast too. Not all of us need massive amounts of food to balance out the steroids we're taking, now do we?"