Sunday, December 18th.

I continue to do my best to keep Hazel's hands out of the food while sending daggers in Becky's direction

I continue to do my best to keep Hazel's hands out of the food while sending daggers in Becky's direction. Becky rolls her eyes and looks away from me.

"James, you know it best. A mother is meant to be in the home with children. That's how I got three wonderful boys that made mostly wonderful choices." What did she mean by that? Martha opens her hands, gesturing towards the rest of the group at the table. I scoff, grabbing the cup of water in front of me that we technically still weren't allowed to touch.

All eyes were on me as I gulp the water down, allowing the cool liquid to soothe my throat before I said something I shouldn't. Everyone had a look of shock on their face. How dare I be so bold to drink some water?

"Mother, it's not like that anymore. If I have the option to work from home, and she doesn't, why can't I stay home with the baby?" James places his hand on my shoulder now, holding it tightly as he supports me with his family.

"That girl needs a mother. A father is meant to be providing, taking care of the mother so the mother can properly do her job." Becky finds the need to respond once again. Sara looks down at her feet, while she and Jared want nothing to do with this conversation. I want to join that side of the table.

"Okay, everyone, that is enough." Stewart, their father, chimes in. Everyone was so busy rattling off insults that no one even noticed he had sat down and already begun eating. "Your food is going to get cold while you are all yapping like dogs."

James' father was a stoic man, seated in his chair like he had confidence about him. He was strong like an oak tree, and dressed like a businessman. His snow white hair showed his age and the stress he'd endure during his life, but his body felt young. Stewart was done playing around, though.

Everyone quietly grabs their forks, looking at the food on their plates. Everyone awkwardly pushes the food around their plates in an attempt to make it look like they had some. The tension in the room was like a weight on the group's shoulders.

"I guess we can move on then. Jimmy, Becky, what's going on with you?" Martha interrupts the awkward silence, pulling everyone back to the table.

"I just got a new promotion, and we will be moving into a new better house here soon, and the best part about it, Mother, it's just down the road from here." Jimmy noticeably felt proud of himself, sitting up in his chair. Becky did the same, following in her husband's footsteps.

"Yes, so the kids can basically walk over here to play whenever you want to see them." Becky adds.

"Or whenever she just needs a break because she's not built to be a mother." I whisper to James. Becky sent daggers in my direction, informing me that I didn't whisper quiet enough. James and I try to hide snickers.

Hazel watches everyone interact, her big bold brown eyes trying so hard to figure everything out. She was so focused she didn't even notice she was shoveling little slivers of ham into her mouth. Chomping away at the food like she was mindlessly watching a movie.