The Prey: The Game of Lies

I walked around the almost deserted plaza. Everybody was celebrating the new prey. I would of been partying with them but I couldn't even pretend that I enjoyed The Games. And to make matters worse, I was a direct part of it this year. I was a predator.

I looked at the crumpled rule sheet I was given when I was chosen to participate.

*~Flashback~*

All the men from our island, which was the whole population, was gathered in the plaza. There was a temporary stage set up with eight men standing on it. The rest were crowded around trying to get as close as possible to the stage.

THe center man stepped towards the microphone. "Hello my fellow men!" His voice boomed through the scattered speakers. "It is time for the annual ceremony! For the past five years, the men of the island have gather seven women, 1 from each continent. They have tortured them in physical, and emotional ways." This earned hoots and hollers from the sea of dudes. I just rolled my eyes. "Some say we can't live with them, we can't live without them. We can live without them. We just make it more entertaining. Now let me give it over to Paul." The director from The Games came on stage from the back.

"Hi I'm Paul. I"m here to tell you the new rules, as they change every year. This year will be the fifth year, so as a twist to the anniversary, this year's Games will be a combination of physical and emotional torture. This year the first 3 months you will stalk her, make her know you're there. Then kidnap her. Break her. Once she is broken, tell her everything and train her for Part 2 of The Games." He said this all with an evil grin. "Ok now to pick our contestants. These gentlemen," He motioned to the seven men behind him. "These men participated in last years Games. These will randomly get one of you luck men and receive their continent, or Canada."

A giant screen lowered down behind the nine men of the stage. Every eligible person's name was on the screen. Every healthy man 19 to 21 in age. I found my name near the middle.

Dagon Lucas

Africa came forward and was handed a buzzer, and was blindfolded. "We will start the list buzz randomly when you think you should stop!" The voice of Paul rang through the loudspeaker. "3... 2... 1... It has started!" The names flashed by so fast. He stopped on Michael Selendro. There was a group of clappes and woos from the back of the audience. A ginger dude, twentie, came jogging up to the stage, looking proud to be up there next to the former person from Africa. Asia was called up next.

Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, South America, and Canada all went. The contestants were all standing there next to the continent or country. The U.S.A was called up he was handed the buzzer. The countdown began. I hope I'm not in it. Please, please, please. "3...2...1... begin!"

He waited until the whole list was thru, and when it started again, the Ks were almost ending and the Ls starting again. 'Almost Ms, just a little more. It might not be me!'

Click

My name was there. On display for everyone to see. Dagon Lucas. I was frozen. 'No, no, no, no! This can not be happening!' I wanted to run away. I was shot out of my trance when my friend Derek nudged me forward. I looked at the stage where everybody was staring at me.

When I got on the stage, U.S.A. was staring at me with knowingly. "Round of applause for this year's predators!"