Chapter 9

TW: Implied discussion of SA (Azula's perspective of Zuko and Ursa)

Azula's POV:

Sokka was pissed! I left because he was about to vent it on Zuko, maybe sexually.

Ty Lee's assessment was gnawing my brain. A simple statement never had this effect on me. I never been so troubled. I was confused as to why? Why did I care what happened to my brother? He had his duty, just as mother had hers. Society needed structure. Duty and discipline were how thing needed to be. Father assured me we always kept the weak in their place. If not, there would be chaos.

Zuko was no different. He was weak and didn't know his place. Wild omegas needed to be tamed...

Logically I knew all of this, yet no matter how much I tried my feelings persisted. I tried to bury myself in work of any kind. Intellectually. Physically. I feebly attempted to read or write but I couldn't concentrate. I moved to training, yet no amount of fire squats or katas helped drowned my predicament.

I determined that sleeping was my only escape. Reality was cruel since as of recent my insomnia worsened. Mother was always there when I closed my eyes. She watched every move I did.

Reading was the only treatment to my horrid sleep schedule, but after her little visit, I couldn't even comprehend the words on the page. None of my typical stress relievers functioned so I was left in the abyss. I decided the best course of action was roam the halls aimlessly.

I strolled to the portraits of my father, and my grandfather, and my great-grandfather, and so on. I thought admiring their image would distract me. It sure did. When I stopped to look at my mother's portrait, I saw a shadow on the rooftop.

I quipped my head to get a better image of the intruder. The black figure was obviously Zuzu. I wondered if he realized he emitted his scent. He seemed frantic. His spy skills were so ridiculous. I thought he had a handle on his scent. He did fool me. I believed he was a beta these past three years.

I never thought he would spot me, but his masked face turned to my direction. The blue spirit. I managed to escape his attentive gaze, and hid behind some pole. His view of me was completely obstructed.

He reeled his scent until it disappeared. Impressive. What I found more intriguing was he wore the clothing of the notorious vigilante, the blue spirit. I always had a hunch, but my suspicions were never confirmed until now. My curiosity peaked more. What was his mission? He could have been conspiring against the fire nation or playing dress up. I wouldn't be surprised with either. Zuzu was always weak and a geek for theater. Both were mother's fault.

I pursued him from a distance. My precaution didn't stop his alertness. He continuously and at random would look behind. I was too quick to judge before. Admittedly he was a competent spy.

The direction we headed was far from the palace. Where was my brother going? We were far into the city and nearly close to the outskirts of it. What was outside the city walls? Uncle. He planned to visit the traitor.

He entered the prison rather skillfully. My brother's bending was slacking, but his stealth skills were passable.

I had hoped this day wouldn't come, but it was expected. Still, I wanted my brother to be isolated so he would only rely on me. In part, I did since the revelation I gave the peasant showed Zuko his true colors. I had expected he would come to me in desperate need, but he reverted to the traitor? Despicable.

I won't allow the sleazy old man to take away my brother. I needed him wrapped around my finger and under my control. Not uncles.

After nearly an hour of waiting outside, he reappeared distraught. He was in a hurry, I almost missed him. Luckily, I always had a calculating eye that could spot anything, so I stalked his path.

His gloomy aura, as Ty Lee would say, doubled after his little chat with the traitor. I found this development agreeable. Maybe uncle wasn't as big of a threat I initially thought. This was good.

I knew I had to pacify his explosive mood. He is far too emotional to be reasoned with words. I had to simply knock him out. When he awakes from the hit, he will be far clearer headed. At least compared to his state right now. I rushed behind him and slid my hand under his mask. My hand snaked his nose and mouth with ease. Yes, he struggled, but not nearly enough. He tragically elbowed my abdomen and clenched his nails to pry off my fingers but he was too weak. He passed out not even two minutes after. It was downright pitiful and shameful.

Once he was immobile, I set him to the floor and removed his mask. Any sliver of doubt I had faded. Zuko was indeed the blue spirit. I was a bit relieved when I didn't spot any notable bruising apart from fathers. At least he didn't share the same fate as mother.

I waited for him to wake up naturally but he took too long. I just gave him a few light smacks until he ultimately woke up.

"Ow," he said, "Azula?"

I was right with my assumption; he was much calmer right now. After stabilized his thoughts and maybe vision, he became a slightly upset.

"Why did you smack me?"

"You passed out. I had to wake you,"

"I passed out from you suffocating me!"

"Oh please. Don't go soft on me. I have done far worse when we were younger," I replied teasingly, but he looked away. I wasn't in the wrong! He should be reprimanded! He literally visited a known traitor.

"Care to tell me why you are here," I sterned.

"S-Sokka,"

"I'm guessing he didn't take the new well,"

"News?"

"About the avatar's death," I asked skeptically.

"O-Oh, yes. It's about that"

I pretended to believe him. Did he or did he not hurt Zuko? From his response there was something more bothering him apart from the avatar. I found this development fascinating. There was trouble in paradise. A situation I could seize and exploit.

We jumped from roof to roof. Although we didn't talk much, it was nice.

•••

The Caldera slums were a place a dignified person like myself would never have been caught red handed. The surrounding crowd were rowdy and filthy, a princess like me would never associate, unless when a girl needs to get her hands dirty.

I stopped in front of a worn-down tavern. Not for the drugs, alcohol or sex provided by this establishment. No. I went for a particular person. I settled down on the third seat of the bar. All the regular criminals and drunkards stared. Their stares were not of my status. I was disguised well. The reason was the person beside me.

The neighboring seat towards my right occupied a particular person that was capable of settling me needs. Someone who had done many jobs before.

"We meet once again," I greeted.

He only shrugged, not bothering to stimulate more conversation. Understandable. He was never really much of a talker.

"I need you to kill the avatar, for this," I said straight to the point while handing him the bag filled with gold.

He stared at the satchel unimpressed. He either believed the avatar was dead or he wasn't. Both are nearly difficult feat to accomplish, but if anyone could accomplish it other than me, would be this man. I had to give him more incentive.

"You will get paid tripled the amount once I acquire the head of the avatar,"

He never gave me a verbal response. He simply chugged his drink and grabbed the money before he left. I knew better. He was always like this. One way or another, the avatar will die.