Chapter 3

TW: Mentions of abuse and Smut

Zuko's POV:

I felt Agni rise and promptly stirred awake. I realized something held me loosely. All I could see was tanned skin. That is when realization struck. My cheeks swelled in deep pink shame when I recalled yesterday's pleasantries.

I was going to die of embarrassment! I couldn't believe I begged him! I didn't think I could even look at him! All I wanted to do was run away and die in a hole! How can I face him now?

Even though this was literally mortifying, I simply stayed in his embrace. No, I nuzzled into his warmth! He was just so safe. His scent and warmth was safe.

Once some shame had lifted, I had the courage to finally look at him unclouded. He definitely grew from his scrawny build. It was hard to admit, but my heart fluttered slightly at Sokka's toned skin that was literally glowing under agni! Not to mention his adorable unruly hair! My eyes also wandered too much. His lips were parted, as if it was pleading for a kiss.

I knew I couldn't. He probably didn't even want this marriage, much like I didn't. At least initially. Now, I could imagine Sokka has my husband. Mother would love him. He is kind and so considerate. Not to mention he also incredibly handsome. All three are super rare to find in an alpha!

Maybe this marriage could work. I would even say it was a blessing in disguise. I only had to prove I was deserving of his kindness. That I was deserving to be his partner. I would birth as many babies he desired. I would risk anything for him, just so for him stay by my side.

"Z-Zuko? Why are you awake so early," he softly spoke.

"Ahh... Ummm... Ani... We rise with the... um... sun?"

Kill me now. I really just got flustered! His morning voice was just so... never mind.

"Yesterday, was I too rough?" he asked, adorably concerned.

Rough? Out of all words to describe yesterday, he chose rough? He treated me like... like... I was the most valuable thing ever. He made me feel so worthy! Considering our history, I was lucky he gave me pity? Did he pity me?

"No, you were gentle," I shyly inputted.

"Good. If not, Gran gran would surely give me a beating," he jokingly said. Am I supposed to find it humorous?

"Yeah, parents. They always give you a good smack here and there," I chuckled.

As I turned to him to see his reaction, I was surprised. His face was one of disbelief? No that couldn't be right? He was sad? Angry? Did I anger him? I definitely did. He was fine before; I would even say happy. His outrage had to be directed at me! To disappoint him was heart aching. Now I was scared. Last time he was mad, he was mad at father. This time he was mad at me. He was going to take it out on me. Though I was still very confused? Why was he mad at me? What did I do wrong?

"Zuko" he said while biting his lip, "does your father hit you?"

"..."

How does he know? Is that why he was mad? Because of the silly joke I made?

"Y-Yes?"

Almost as if he knew it was hard to admit, he softly strokes on my head. This action really encouraged tears to drip, that were once welded in my eyes. I tried to suck them in, but it was hopeless. I really didn't want to look weak in front of him... like some pitiful omega whore...

Sokka tightened his embrace, which encouraged a few stray tears fall. I felt weak, and underserving. He had been nothing but a gentleman. He was so nurturing and sweet, to me of all people! How?! How can he have the capacity to be so nice?! After all my mistakes and imperfection? Even Katara and Uncle! They all gave me kindness, yet all I gave was betrayal! The truth was, I was unworthy.