Part One: Pulled

The crisp Autumn air makes no effort to bring death or dismay. Instead, it brings bright sunlight and new life. A day like this is rare in The Constant; the survivors know this well. Basic tasks like cutting trees or collecting grass become a sweet stroll. With such an environment, every survivor finds something to enjoy.
For a particular spider and an odd pair of twins, they have found joy in something so simple, the activity could double as a date.

"Wendy, over there! Those berries look really juicy!"

Webber slings his backpack over his shoulder, running after another berry bush. Wendy watches him, her own bag on the ground near a bush prime for the picking. Abigail remains beside her, trying her best to pick the berries.
Wendy tilts her head, keeping her ghastly eyes on Webber.

"I've never seen someone so enthused about bringing death to these bushes."

Wendy turns back to her bag, picking the berries that have left home thanks to Abigail's help.

"Ooo oOooOoo... oOoOoOoo OOoO!"

Wendy looks up at Abigail for a moment, turning to see Webber engrossed in berry picking. She almost smiles as she grabs some berries and throws them on the ground, standing to smush them. Dragging the red stain into the bush before her, Wendy nods to Abigail before hiding.
Webber is oblivious to the act. He collects his berries while speaking loudly to Wendy.

"If we ask Warly nicely, do you think—"

Before Webber can finish, Abigail appears before him, her distress clear as day. She shakes and floats erratically, speaking ghostly gibberish at an alarming rate. Webber takes a moment to take in the scene.

"Abigail, what's wrong?"

The ghostly sister floats past him, revealing to Webber a 'blood' stain leading into a berry bush, with Wendy nowhere in sight. The moment Webber sees this, the appendages on his face recoil in fear, his first instinct pushing him to run over to the berry bush.
When he reaches the bush, he peers inside to see...
Nothing.
As he looks over the berry bush, he sees...
Nothing.
Webber turns around, going to ask Abigail...

"BOO!"

When Webber shrieks and jumps in the air like a catcoon, Wendy and Abigail waste no time bursting out laughter. Abigail floats joyously while Wendy laughs like it's her last laugh. As for Webber, the spider boy stands in frightened confusion for a moment.
The moment doesn't last long.
As Wendy wipes a tear of joy from her face, something quickly replaces it. Something red and wet. Before she can look at Webber, a barrage of berries are sent her way.

They almost exclusively hit her face.

Wendy runs for cover, Abigail joining her in ghostly panic. When they reach safety behind a berry bush, Webber's bag conveniently lies nearby. Wendy grabs the bag and looks towards Abigail, excitement in her eyes.
At that moment, a berry war begins.
It is a brutal war.
Webber uses the appendages on his face to throw berries on mass while Wendy uses Abigail to return opposing fire, both sides fighting to stain the other red. The land is covered with berry blood as the trio jump from bush to bush, vying for control.
The mood turns from sour to silly in a matter of seconds. Some berries hit, others miss, some berries land in Webber's mouth, others are used as war paint.
The war is brutal, there are no surviving berries.

When the land becomes barren, Webber realizes defeat is in sight. He accepts his fate as another casualty of war, grabbing a stick and weaving some silk to create a white flag.
Lifting the flag above the trenches, Webber waits for a response. Looking over the berry bush, Webber sees Wendy doing the same, her flag made of a twig and Abigail's entire being; she mimics the movement of a flag surprisingly well.
Crossing No Spider's Land, the trio meet in the middle, surrounded by the remains of fallen berry warriors. Webber keeps waving his flag, half of his body stained with dirt and berries. Wendy doesn't do the same. She's so dirty that a few more berries to the face wouldn't truly hurt.
Extending his hand, Webber is the first to speak.

"Truce?"

"Truce."

"OoOoo!"

Webber and Wendy shake hands. Abigail tries to join them but she's a ghost.

Exhausted and friends again, the trio lay on the ground. They regain energy for their next activity by doing the most simple thing possible: cloud watching.

"That one looks like a skull."

"Hmmm... looks more like a beach ball."

"OOooOoOo!"

"That's a weird looking flower, Abigail."

"Oh! Over there! That one looks like a spider!"

Pointing a little too enthusiastically, Webber drops his hand onto Wendy's hand, making sudden contact. When Wendy feels the fuzziness of Webber's hand, her heart skips a beat as she turns to look at the boy with widened eyes.
Webber tries to keep his eyes upwards, yet his small spider eyes look over at Wendy, just as surprised as her.
They remain quiet, their hearts picking up pace with every passing moment.

"Um, I'm sorry..." Webber apologizes as he moves his hand away. "I didn't mean to do that..."

"No." Wendy grabs Webber's wrist, speaking over him. "Don't be sorry. Just... do it like this."

Wendy slowly moves her hand from Webber's wrist to his open hand, filling in the emptiness in his palm. Without any resistance, Wendy gently interlaces her fingers with his. It takes a moment before Webber closes his fingers on Wendy's hand, but when he does, a sweet silence falls between them.
They rest their hands on the ground, keeping their bond tight.
As clouds pass, the gentle Autumn breeze fills the ears of the duo, letting words become irrelevant. Abigail, knowing that romance can only grow without prying eyes, silently sneaks back into her flower, letting the two be alone.
Webber and Wendy shuffle closer and closer, closing the gap between them. Soft excitement builds in their hearts, it's a familiar feeling that still scares them.

"Hey Wendy?"

Webber turns his head over to look at her. Wendy does the same, surprised to realize how close they've become.

"Yes?"

After a moment of silence, Webber closes the distance between them. He nuzzles his forehead with hers, allowing his face appendages to instinctively go and touch Wendy, happy to be near her again. They've done this same gesture many times without really noticing it. Yet the sensation is something neither Webber or Wendy would trade for the world.
Wendy smiles. For a moment, she only thinks about Webber. No thoughts of death plague her, it's just him. Webber and all the moments where he's made her smile. All the moments where surviving was worth it.

And at that very moment, Wendy leans in, closing her eyes and embracing her heart.

Webber doesn't move. His eyes widen as the warm feeling fills his heart. But Webber doesn't need to move, his spider appendages pull Wendy closer, expressing his true feelings. Despite how different they may be, everything feels right.
As the two separate, they stare at each other in bewilderment. And then, they smile. Wendy's cheeks turn slightly red as Webber's eyes soften.
Lost for words, they look back at the sky. Their hands remain intertwined, just like their hearts. Worried for a moment, Wendy squeezes Webber's hand, checking to see if she's dreaming. But when he squeezes back, the truth is set in stone.
Dreams come true.