24

As I dropped my parents off at the airport, I prayed that they didn't think that I was acting too weird. This was my first time ever throwing a party at their house without their permission or didn't have a princess castle bounce house in the backyard. 

I prayed that people didn't fuck my house up, so I took extra measures and went to the store to get extra cleaning supplies, water, Gatorade, and copy paper for my keep-out signs.

I spent the day making sure everything was clean and handling some other big business.

"You don't think that it's too much?" I turned around to show Sloane the prom dress that I fell in love with.

I couldn't believe that I choose her to go prom shopping with me or the fact that our relationship improved so much over the past few months. 

She smiled. "Rowan, are you serious? It's so gorgeous on you. I think you're the only person that can pull off this sexy ass red dress with a high slit and make it look classy."

I posed as my sister took pictures on her phone.

"You should definitely wear your hair big and natural in that dress. It's definitely not something that you can be subtle in and I feel like the straight hair is downplaying it. You know?" Sloane advised.

I turned around and looked in the mirror. "You're right. My hair just looks so flat right now."

"This is like the best senior prom dress ever. I don't think anything else screams Rowan as that dress does." Sloane hyped me up.

I nodded my head. "I think it's time to pull the trigger on her."

I bought the prom dress, got some heels, and the perfect earrings. Sloane and I went out to eat at a sushi bar to regain our strength from all that shopping.

"I can't wait to see you all put together." she sipped on her Dr. Pepper.

I guess her clean eating, no soda, no sweets challenge was over.

"How is Hayden?" she wondered.

I grinned. "He's good."

"I wonder when mom's true feelings are going to come out about you dating a white guy are going to come out. I feel like it's coming soon, but it is the twenty-first century after all." Sloane went on.

"Yeah." I muttered. "Our history doesn't really help, but we're also not really dating so she can't be too mad."

Sloane rolled her eyes. "Oh girl, please. I mean let's look at the debutante ball, he kissed you, he is taking you to prom, and you two are going to the same college. You two are bound to date or at least fuck at least once."

Jesus Christ Sloane.

Then she tilted her head. "Have you ever had sex? I could never tell."

I shook my head. "I have not."

"Well, call your big sister after the first time." she smirked.

I groaned. "Slooooaannnnneeeee. I'm begging you to not do this right now."

"Rowan! It's a normal step to take. You're a woman, women get horny! It's ok. I just want you to be safe and I want you and whoever you have sex with for the first time to be gentle and understanding with each other." my sister went on.

She took a deep breath. "I know we haven't always seen eye to eye, but I want you to be able to come to me if you have any problems in that area. Even if you're in Texas and I'm here. Unless you want to talk to Shawn or conjure Riley up from the dead."

Sloane never talked about Riley so the fact that she could joke about it surprised me.

"Are you in therapy or something?" I finally asked.