6

If you told fourteen-year-old freshman Rowan that she would become student body president senior year, I don't know if she would believe you. Being SGA president was always Sloane's dream.

I ended up being a part of student government my sophomore year because there weren't enough sophomores running and I thought what the hell

I guess you could say it ended up working out.

Being student body president was rewarding. I enjoyed working with the administration and coming up with new ideas to make everyone's high school life more enjoyable.  

Today's duty was picking a theme for homecoming. 

I hoped we could agree on one thing because I was ready to go home. I, unfortunately, had to get ready for my parents' dinner party.

"Hi everyone!" I greeted everyone as I walked into the room.

I sat down in the only chair that was open (next to Hayden). "What are you doing here?" 

"Carroway, I'm chair of events for the senior class." he reminded me

That was correct.

"Being that it is already 4:30, let's get started." I opened up my binder.

We went around the room. I heard Under the Sea, Arabian Nights, Disney, Superheros, Tropical, New York City, Carnival Chic, and Wizard of Oz.

Hayden raised his hand. "Miss Carroway?"

"Yes?" I motioned for him to speak.

"Arabian Nights is a hell no and I don't think I need to explain why. Under the Sea happened last year, Fairytale the year before that, and New York the senior's freshman year." he gave his input.

I nodded my head. "Fair point."

"Our final three are Tropical, Carnival, and Wizard of Oz." I decided.

A red-headed junior raised her hand. "If we do tropical, we can just reuse the decorations from last year." 

I scrunched up my nose. "I want something new, but good suggestion."

Then a light went off in my head. 

Do you know what had never been done before at Trinity? Rides at homecoming.

"My dad's friend owns a ride rental company. He's a Trinity Alum from like thirty years ago. Maybe we can get some rides, and games, and use the money for tickets for more student events." I suggested to everyone.

Everyone started nodding.

"Even if you can't get the rides, the games would still be cute." the same junior spoke.

 A freshman clapped. "I love that idea."

"So Carnival it is?" I looked at everyone.

I got nods, thumbs-ups, and smiles.

"Beautiful." I wrote it down. "I'll get some outlines and timesheets for setups going out. If you need to reach me, you know my number and email. Thank you, everyone."

I got my things and I could sense someone walking behind me.

I turned to see Hayden.

"Hannah is excited about homecoming with you." I started a conversation with him. 

"Yeah," he muttered. "School dances aren't usually my scene, but it's senior year."

I opened up my trunk to put my bookbag up. "Have you ever asked a girl to a school dance?"

Hayden shook his head. "This is my first time going to one since sophomore year. I went with Sara Willoughby."

"What happened to her?" I realized that I hadn't seen her since sophomore year. 

"You never heard? She got pregnant by some guy that December, she dropped out, had the baby, and the guy was in the military so she's on her way to being an army wife now," he explained.

Damn, why did I never hear that?

"Wow."

"Yeah, but I'll see you later and at homecoming, Miss Carroway." Hayden walked away.

I noticed that he got into the mustang that he showed me when I drove him home that one time. I guessed he finished fixing it up.

My dad was starting a new business venture (a bar) and his business partner was coming over for dinner. The bar was going to have creative cocktails and beer with arcade games. It was basically an adult version of Dave and Buster's. I couldn't wait until I could patronize it legally. 

I was wearing a simple black silk cami with jeans. I only had on mascara and I brushed my hair into a low bun.

"Rowan, they are here" my mom knocked on my bedroom door.

I went downstairs to see the family. It was a small world. 

"Hey!" Jonah looked at me.

My mom looked at me and then looked at him. "You two know each other?"

I just looked at her with my mouth open. 

"We have mutual friends" I decided was a simple explanation.  

His parents introduced themselves to me along with his younger sister. Their names were Daniel, Jennifer, Jonah, and Julia Miller. Daniel was a tall Black man with a well-maintained beard while Jennifer was a White woman who looked like she loved botox and a good orange theory class.

We sat in the living room and ate dinner which was lamb chops, asparagus, and mashed potatoes (all catered). We heard stories about how our dads met at college, how they came up with the idea twenty years ago, and how they couldn't wait for the grand opening in the spring.

Our dads were in the man cave, and our moms and his sister were talking about town gossip, so I decided to make a move.

"Do you want to go outside?" I asked Jonah.

He nodded.

We went out to my backyard and sat on the outdoor couch. 

"How do you know Hayden?" I finally got to ask Jonah.

He let out a small laugh. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I asked first." 

"Fair enough." Jonah agreed. "We grew up playing in the same basketball league. We never lost contact. He's always been one of my best friends. Your turn, Rowan."

I shrugged. "I thought it was obvious. We've been going to the same school since sixth grade."

"I'm sensing some beef." he pointed out.

"He's Hayden."  I leaned back.

"Mmhm." Jonah hummed. "I wished he would've introduced us sooner. You're extremely pretty."

Please, I don't think Hayden would do anything that would see me happy.

But I took the compliment. "Thank you. I think homecoming is going to be fun with you."