Part Seventeen

Naomi looked at the bowl of spicy potato and parsnip soup she’d managed to whizz up in forty minutes, she also had a thick slice of the rustic loaf she’d thought to get on the way home from work. She was exhausted and this was the prelude to an early night tucked up under her duvet in the comfort of her own bed. She’d never thought it would be such a blissful scenario!

Just as she sat at the small kitchen table, a glass of water chosen over a glass of wine next to her hot soup, the doorbell rang. She was wearing her bath robe, but ignored that and rushed to the door, thinking about getting back to her food.

Dragging the door open she smiled, anticipating Sarah or Emma stood there hoping for the gossip. Instead she met the tired eyes of Conor. Her gasp was both audible and visible, and it caused a wry smile to cross Conor’s mouth. The fact that she didn’t expect him to arrive didn’t bode well.

                “Hi!” he offered. “I wanted to see you...”

She nodded, “ok...Here I am!”

Conor sighed, how did this suddenly get so awkward? “Naomi. I’m sorry if I’ve upset you or hurt you in some way. We should’ve discussed the implications of working together would have. It doesn’t have to be difficult.”

                “You were checking up on the Mackie case? I thought you trusted me with that...”

He looked bewildered, “what do you mean?”

Naomi was still a physical barrier to him entering the room. “You were checking the paperwork from the opposing council...don’t you think I can sort it?”

Now he really had no idea what she was talking about, he thought this animosity was linked to them, the difficulties that working together might bring, not some bloody minor business case! “Naomi! The Mackie case is cut and dried, I have one hundred percent confidence in you, no doubts that you can sort it out what so ever, I’ve not seen any paperwork...was it in the batch of stuff that came on Friday? I needed some of the mail...urgently. But nothing from the Mackie case. I swear.” He reached out for her hand, “is that why you’re so angry?”

She stepped back, burned by his touch, “I...um...” Suddenly everything was confusing again. Him being cheerful at work as though nothing had happened, then having the file she needed, disappearing. She didn’t know where she stood, and she needed that more than anything.

With another softer sigh, he stepped in after her, “it’s awkward I’m sure, me being your boss...” he dropped the tone of his voice, “and your lover. But there really is only one role I’m interested in, I promise.” His hand lifted to run up her neck and under her damp hair, “but I agree we need to work out the rest.”

Naomi was annoyed to feel tears well in her eyes, she hated him seeing her so exposed and vulnerable, but she was so emotionally ravaged that she had no more resistance. As she tried to avert her eyes, he tilted her head, forced her to look at him, “I came here straight from the court house as I couldn’t bear the thought of a home without you. So can I come in? Can we talk?”

He knew sometime as he spoke that he’d won her over, but it was still a relief when she stepped back and gestured into her home.

                “I was just about to eat some soup, do you want some?”

He nodded, “that sounds like heaven, I don’t think my stomach could cope with anything more exotic than that!”

When he saw the smile split her face happily, he knew he’d said the right thing. Following her into the room he could smell something spicy, and suddenly his stomach growled. “That smells stunning!”