Part Eleven

The wedding as predicted was no small family affair, it seemed half of the county had been invited. As they made their way down the aisle of the chapel to find their seats many faces turned to smile, wave and be acquainted with Conor. Naomi truly felt like the accessory on his arm. Michael was stood in a Morning suit, Paul his best man trying to calm his nerves, but to Naomi’s eyes he really did look flighty.

Then the organ struck up the Bridal March and all eyes turned to the rear of the building where Louise stood. Naomi had only very briefly met the bride the night before, and the radiant, beautiful woman who glided down the aisle was a million miles from the woman she remembered.

A thin veil covered her thick dark hair which hung free around her shoulders, but the dress was everything Naomi imagined a wedding dress should be, a tight strapless body with a full skirt that managed to avoid looking like a giant meringue and instead looked feminine and breathtaking.

She turned to Conor and whispered, “she looks absolutely stunning!”

                “All brides do,” he hissed a response before turning to look at his brother who was mesmerised by the sight of his bride.

Naomi sensed the animosity in his words but merely took a deep breath and also faced the front of the church. Presumably he was remembering the infamous Orla who he never discussed, but was presumably a beautiful bride too. His view on every marital was swayed by the failed attempt at it by his wife.  

They watched the service, Louise and Michael were so obviously devoted to each other. Outside the building they were covered in confetti, rice and flower petals as they emerged, and then stood radiant as a barrage of photos were taken by all and sundry. The happy couple went off into the gardens for more photos and poses, the rest of the congregation made their way back to the imposing and impressive castle.

Naomi found she was following the still frosty Conor around the reception room like some sort of lapdog, and she was less than impressed. But she did appreciate how difficult this occasion was for him. The expectation from his family obviously weighed heavily on his shoulders. Saying that, Naomi was pleased that she settled so easily into conversation with the people who crossed their path. Plus, the canapés being served by dozens of waiters were exceptional and champagne was continually appearing in her glass.

                “Are you trying to get me drunk Mr O’Neill?” she asked as her glass was yet again refilled.

He laughed, leaning close to her to whisper, “do I need to?”

She shrugged, so glad that he had finally seemed to relax and become the Conor she’d come here with, the man she’d spent the night with,  “I wasn’t drunk last night!”

He tugged her chin around to face him, then planted an affectionate kiss of her lips, “but I think you intoxicated me!” The look that followed his words drove her body wild, hot and FULL of promise.

Taking her hand he led her across the room to meet some other school friends.

They sat to dinner sharing a table with his siblings, it gave Naomi a chance to recap on everyone’s names, it still confused her. By now the seven nieces and nephews were also in attendance, and each worshipped Conor, rushing over to throw their arms around his neck. He was brilliant with them too, and that warmed Naomi’s heart. Each one relished the chance to bask in his attention, and he took time and effort to speak to and play with them all in great depth. Every time one approached he made a grand effort to introduce her, and whilst they were all polite, they only had eyes for Uncle Con!

After a virtual feast of delicious soup, beef and perfectly cooked vegetables and the lightest white chocolate mousse known to man, Naomi needed a break. She’d both drunk and eaten more than was recommended, and with Conor’s mood being rather unpredictable, knew that she needed a break from him. A little time away.