7

"Dad I don't want to run it."

"Cory I've told you many a times that this is the way it works."

"I can't possible hand it over to Jake he's to much an idiot to run such a company. I've built it from the ground up and to let it all go to waste."

"Dad I never wanted to run the company. I hate technology and business. Who knows maybe Jake is good with that stuff."

"Cory, Jake can only go about 10 minutes without getting high. There is no way in hell that I'm handing over a billion dollar company to that imbecile."

"Have you even spoken to Jake in the past I don't know 5 years?"

"No. I would never pose myself next to such an incompetent man."

"He's your son that YOU casted out."

"My daughter, please don't tell me you take his side. You are smart and good with people. Don't let this families name go to ruins due to your foolishness do you hear me?" His voice thundered across the line. The chills coating my neck.

He never used that tone for me. The last time I had heard it was the night mom left. "Dad why can't you just respect me enough to let me do what I want. I'm not even 20."

"Cory I built this company when I was 16. You are ready why don't you just give up this whole soccer things. It will never take you anywhere."

"Aren't you literally coming to my game that is in like 5 hours?"

"It's to secure a 25.8 million dollar deal so you better play."

"This is why mom left."

"No. Your mother left because she's an ungrateful bitch who doesn't know somethings good even if it smacked her in the face".

"Whatever." I mutter.

"Don't you dare hang up this phone Cory Ray Demarcus".

I click the line dead and toss my phone onto one of the pool chairs. I had stepped out from breakfast to take his call. I was so foolish I thought he was calling to wish me luck not hound me over bullshit.

They say being oblivious brings you peace but I haven't found it.

"Hey Cory you almost ready to head in?" Tierna calls from the steps of the hotel.

"Uhh. Yeah just give me a minute."

"Everything alright?"

"Yeah." Grabbing my phone I jog to the doors wordlessly passing Tierna, holding the door for her as she walks in.

"So what is the fact for today?"

"Platypus don't have a stomach their food goes from their esophagus straight to their intestines."

"That's a- where do you learn all this stuff?"

"I have a photographic memory."

"That makes a lot more sense."

"Never heard that." I mutter as we grab the takeout containers with our name on it.

"So are you excited about starting?"

"Always."

"Do you know where you are playing today?"

"On the field."

"Bruhhh."

"I don't know. Jill hasn't told me yet."

"So where do you want to play?"

"On the field. Hopefully."

"Shut up you idiot."

I just nod making a locking motion with my hand as I take the lone table.