Assurance

Summary:

With Zemo back, Lilly starts to feel the old cold fingers close in her mind. Worried about Bucky's safety, she wonders when they will finally get married... if they ever will.

And although she hated their plan, there wasn't much she could do, so she stayed back and placed Bucky's safety on Sam's hand. Responsibility the man gladly accepted, mainly because he knew more details about their future marriage than they did.

 Responsibility the man gladly accepted, mainly because he knew more details about their future marriage than they did

Lilly looked at her phone again to confirm the address they had sent her. The old place looked like a big garage, but with so much rust and unattended plants all over she was sure it was just an empty warehouse.

"Hey, Sam," Lilly said, closing the door behind her. "Where's Bucky?" She peeked over an old dusty car to look for him.

Sam acknowledged her presence with a short nod, his eyes soon turned to the floor, and Lilly frowned. "Is everything okay?" She halted her steps, waiting for an answer that came in the form of a head scratch.

Feeling tension building up in the air, she rounded one of the vehicles and saw Bucky leaning on a car not too far away. Picking the side of her thumb's fingernail, she walked towards him with tentative steps. Her eyes met his when he looked up absent-minded, and the seriousness in his expression made her straighten her spine. "Is everything okay?"

Bucky struggled for a moment. His gaze roamed her face, and she saw him clench his jaw in that way he did when he was troubled. "Everything is fine, Lillian."

"Lillian?" Her walk was halted by her name on his lips. It wasn't because he called her by her first name but by his tone. His words were laced in caution, and she wondered why since it was just the three of them there. "What...?" She glanced back at Sam, who still refused to look at her. "Bucky, I don't...?" Her feet moved on their own accord. Seeing his shoulders squared and the stern look on his face made her freeze in place. A shiver on the back of her head warned her about something she still didn't understand, and out of the corner of her eyes, she saw a devilish face with way too many white teeth. "Love?"

"Love?" Zemo's voice reverberated in the vast space. Soon after, his head poked from behind the trunk of one of the cars to look at Lilly and then glance at Bucky.

She never thought that word would make her feel so many emotions simultaneously. Emotions that were far from being positive. Desperation, disappointment, and most of all, fear. Never thought about it until she heard it come from someone she prayed she would never meet.

Lilly tried but couldn't hide her surprised expression, and her voice was strained when it left her lips. "You promised you wouldn't do anything stupid." She kept her eyes closed and breathed deeply. She counted to ten and then to twenty.

"Lillian-" Although she wasn't looking at Bucky, she knew he was walking her way.

"Stop." She could feel the tears welling on her lashes. Her teeth sunk into her lower lip, and blood flooded her mouth. "James."