Prologue

© 2015 NightMareLux. All Rights Reserved.

My path to being a Classicist was easier than expected.

I finished writing the last of my essay as I sat in the balcony of my shared apartment, brushing off the stray eraser bits just as a shadow loomed over my shoulder.

"Adelaide Melbourne, what do you think you're doing?"

I closed my textbook shut, pushing my hair over to my left side. I did everything I could against the windy weather of Miami, but nothing- not even a plethora of bobby pins and hair clips- could keep my hair in place. That's why I decided to give in and just let the wind take it's course, even if it would leave my hair looking like a rat's nest.

"Hello to you too, Valerie." I stood up, holding my textbook to my chest. "I'm assuming from your attire that you haven't studied yet for the test on Monday?"

My roommate avoided my eyes, clearing her throat. "Maybe. Just come on, you're going to this party whether you like it or not."

I winced, setting my hand on her arm. "Val, it won't do you any good to throw away your life over this guy. I get that you and him broke up violently, but that doesn't mean you should drown your consciousness in alcohol in order to forget it."

She dropped her head to my shoulder. "Just come with me. I don't want to be alone."

I gave her a sympathizing smile, patting her head of curly red hair. "Okay, I'll come with you."

And so I did.

The party was loud and pungent with the smell of alcohol and vomit. I ended up staying in the kitchen, serving drinks to everyone. It was hard to tell what was water and what was tequila when everyone looked even more drunk with each cup downed.

"You having fun?"

I blinked, looking over my shoulder to see Valerie's ex-boyfriend, David.

I shrugged, pouring another cup of water for a stumbling college student. "This isn't exactly my kind of place."

His smile made me feel more comfortable since it wasn't paired with groping hands.

"What is your kind of place?"

I was surprised at the question. "Um... a library?"

"Fair enough. You don't seem like the partying type." he lifted the cup of water and downed it in one go. "Well I'll be off, I think I heard someone yell about beer pong on a surfboard. Tell the bitch I said hi."

He vanished before I could say that there was no way I was telling Valerie that. As I scanned the crowd, cramped into the house, I saw Valerie laughing with two other girls, all holding each other like they were the best of friends.