chapter-thirty-three

~maddy lively~

My eyes scan over the cold gravestone where the body of my sister lays, today is my third year without her, the cold wind wipes against my face making the tears that run down my face sway with the wind.

my phone buzzes repeatedly in my pocket but i refuse to pick it up today, i cant talk to nobody right now. the only thing i have used my phone for is to listen to Kayla's last voice note she sent me hopefully i wont forget her voice then.

''i miss you'' i whisper my vision clouding with tears, my shaky hands run across the writing imprinted on the stone. especially the message that's on there. Kayla lively an amazing sister and a wonderful friend, she defiantly would think this was the cheesiest thing ever but it looks nice on her.

a rustle of leaves come from behind me and i quickly turn around to face whoever it is. the face of amelia comes into view and i send her a gentle smile, shes holding pink roses in her hand and my heart tugs at the gesture, pink roses where Kayla's favourite. she slides down to sit next to me. i see her lay the flowers down making the grave seem more warm then i should be considering the situation.

she sits back against the wall next to me, ''i knew you would be here'' she says quietly and i just nod. he hand suddenly reaches for the bottle of wine that is next to me. ''i hope you weren't thinking of drinking this then driving back'' she says with a stern voice and i just shake my head not in the mood for a lecture of the dangers of drinking and driving.

''you know i would have been fine amelia'' i say alittle buzz from the wine already. i hear her sigh next to me before lifting the bottle up to her lips and drinking some. ''and i thought you where the responsible one'' i say taking the bottle off her lightly and putting it back next to me not wanting her to get any ideas.

there is a comfortable silence, the wind blowing the leaves up and around in the air causing them to dance in the sky before eventually laying down to rest. ''i know you miss her'' she says and i just nod my head not really wanting to talk about it with anyone but i really dont want to be cold to this girl shes done a lot for me and i cant thank her enough.

''did you take anything with this wine?'' she questions and my eye-brows furrow, she sees my confused expression before smiling gently. ''like pills or anything'' she says confirming what she ment earlier. ''no'' i say before drinking some more, i need to finish this before Aliyah finds out i took it from her secret stash as she calls it. im sure i can just make her believe her and dad drank it one night when they do their little home dates.

''do you remember the time when me you and Kayla all made that massive pile of leaves before jumping in it?'' she questions and i lean back slightly with a small smile on my face, ''yes i do'' i admit laughing lightly at the memory of us three. ''she looked so happy'' amelia says with a whimpered voice and i look over to see her eyes watery and cheeks flushed. i move my body closer to her so i can hug her.

''your ok'' i say soothingly while rubbing my hand over her hair trying to calm her down. ''im worried maddy'' she admits and i just nod my head. ''im worried about you, and how your going to act these next couple of days im worried that your going to deaerate just like anyone else would if they went through what you have,'' she says and i feel the lump in ,my throat enlarge, ''im fine baby ok you dont have to worry about anything'' i say making her look at me.

''im not going to do anything and i defiantly am not going to leave you'' i say and she nods, laying her head on my shoulder. suddenly a white feather lands on our enlocked hands making my lips tug alittle bit. ''shes here'' amelia says making me laugh alittle. ''we better get back'' she says standing up before offering me her hand.

''how did you even get here?'' i question seeing no other car in the parking lot apart from mine. ''she bus drops you off near here so i got on that'' she explains and i nod my head, ''let me throw this away and i will be back'' i say holding up the bottle of wine in my hands. she nods getting into my car and closing the door.

i start the car driving down the road back to my life. ''have you looked at your phone?'' she questions and i shake my head. ''you might need to'' she says and i shake my head again, i dont want to talk to anyone today.

''im honestly fine amelia its just today is the one day i let myself feel more then i normally do'' i say pulling up to her house. 'call me maddy, if you need to talk to someone i can help you'' she says and i smile before kissing her on the hand. ''thank you love, but stop worrying about me with that pretty head'' i say and she just smiles. ''complimenting me isn't going to take away the facts that your shutting people out'' she says and i frown slightly.

''you better get inside before you get a cold'' i say as her shaky hands hold onto my car. ''i love you '' she says and i smile back to her, before the front door opens and her dad steps out. he dosent look to pleased to see me and his daughter this close. dont get me wrong amelias dad can be sweet sometimes but hes just very protective, the last time he saw me kiss her hand i heard him say she shouldn't be hanging out with a piece of shit like me. but who am i to let some old mans opinion on me effect me.

she smiles at me before running up her porch steps, i see her talking to her dad before he starts walking to my car window. great, ''maddy its nice seeing you again'' he says and i nod gently ''you too Mr. Knight how's the business going?'' i question and he smiles brightly. ''we got out second sponsorship this month'' he says proudly and i feel a tug of warmth in my heart, ''that's amazing'' i say genially happy for the man he deserves it.

''im sorry for your loss maddy'' and i just stare at him. ''i know how much it hurts losing a sibling especially with how close you two where aswell'' he says with a sympathetic look and i clear my throat. ''thank you Mr. Knight but trust me when i say im doing ok'' i say not wanting to worry anyone else right now.

he nods before opening his mouth again. ''your always welcome here maddy you know that right?'' he questions and i nod my head. ''the people in our little town love you the same way they loved kayla'' he says and i feel my eyes water again. ''thank you'' i say and he smiles brightly at me. before stepping away from the car. ''have a safe drive home maddy'' he says before i roll my window back up and pull off the curb speeding down the road.

i finally decide to pick up my phone and see i have a few messages and missed calls from people. 5 messages on the group chat. 3 missed calls of dad. 5 missed calls of jay. 2 missed calls of my mother and a few messages from lucas, with 6 missed calls. i decide to message to group chat to clear everyone's minds since im heading home anyway i will see my dad then.

'hello im ok sorry if i worried anyone i just want to be alone today'

i say before parking my car in the driveway and getting out ready to face the lecture my dad is going to throw at me for ignoring messages and leaving him alone especially on a day like today.

-------------------------