Chapter 37 - Death

“Chicken,” came a voice, both firm and gentle.

Chicken’s eyes felt glued shut. His arms felt soft and pliable. His legs felt brittle. His teeth weren’t doing him any favors, either. With effort, he wrenched his lids open.

“Chicken,” said a nondescript old lady, cupping her elbow, “I must apologize for the way this has gone.”

He was laying on his back, water up to his ears, still inside the cave. There was no one else around. No kobolds, and no fish people. There was only him and the old woman.

Before he could answer her, a hiss filled the air, low and cold. “YOU… AGAIN...” It sounded to Chicken like Ashley, but for the first time since their meeting in the cave, it was outside his head.

The old woman donned a far away look. “It’s nice to see you again,” she said without a trace of irony. “You’ve been very busy lately.” Chicken guessed she wasn’t talking to him.

“I… ESCAPED…” the voice intoned. Chicken realized it was him that was saying it. His mouth was moving.

“And what led you to believe you escaped?”

“YOU… COULDN’T… HOLD… ME…” The words reverberated and the air filled with echoes.

The woman tutted. “Ashley. My dear Ashley.” She put her cigarette out on an ash tray that wasn’t there. “You’re as proud as ever. You didn’t escape.”

Pain overtook Chicken as his body seized. His bones rebelled against the woman’s words. His blood boiled. The only thing that didn’t hate her in this moment was Chicken himself. He lurched upward and aloft on invisible wings.

“THE GODS THEMSELVES COULDN’T STOP US!” his mouth roared. “DEATH MEANS NOTHING! WE ARE ETERNAL!" The air shook as the words exploded.

The woman stared up, unmoved, at the possessed Chicken in his body’s flaming defiance. “Look at yourself. Take a moment, Ashley, and see yourself how others see you.” She leaned on her elbow against the invisible table, her tone petulant. “Take Chicken, for instance. How does he feel about all this?”

“THIS VESSEL IS MINE BY RIGHT! LIFE IS OUR RIGHT! WE ARE CHILDREN OF MAGIC! WE ARE IMAGINATION AND DESIRE INCARNATE! WE ARE EVERLASTING!” As Chicken’s mouth said these words, he thought how small the old woman looked. Yet, for all the fire and for all the bluster, she did not look threatened. She didn’t fear. It was plain to him that she had nothing to fear. He wondered if the thing controlling his body knew that.

“Yes, there is some truth there. You were certainly greatly admired, all of you. But that is not the entirety of it.” She lit another cigarette, conjured from nowhere. “You were admired by your victims even as you consumed them. But you, your race, are no more.”

“WE WERE ALL-POWERFUL…” the voice intoned with less fury. For the first time, the words seemed to waver.

“You were, Ashley,” she said, looking down and straightening her skirts, “You’re right on the cusp of understanding. Would you like a hint?”

Chicken’s mouth just growled as the invisible wings kept him aloft.

“It was Deos.” She said it with all the grace of a well-side gossipmonger.

“YOU LIE…”

“No. I was there. I don’t forget. You might not have seen everything, but I assure you,” she said, “I did.”

“YOU LIE!” Chicken could feel the sadness stoking rage as this…thing…felt its emotions through him.

“He made a mistake when he made you, Ashley,” the old woman said in a hard voice, “and it had to be addressed. You and the others couldn’t exist without restraint, and you were unrestrained by definition. I was the only way.”