Chapter 23

Alrighty, here it is! The final part for the night before I have to get to bed! I hope that you guys accept these three chapters as my apology for being gone so long. I PROMISE I will be back with another one before you know it. Trust me...the next few are gonna be INTENSE. Thank you so much for sticking with me. I love you all <3 You matter...yes YOU! I'm lookin' at you, kid. Thanks for everything guys! Without further ado....enjoy ;-)

I love you! 

-Hannah

*********************************************

CHAPTER 23: The air was stale and cold, cutting Sydney to the bone. 

Goosebumps settled over her flesh as her stomach rolled, but instead of cowering in fear like she wanted to, she pulled up her shoulders and tipped up her chin. 

This man had taken so much from her and he was probably the reason that her mom and stepdad were dead.

 She looked around the room, all white and gray linoleum with a cheap white stucco ceiling and plastic blue chairs that lined up along the booths that had a large impenetrable glass window with each booth, along with a phone. The lights were bright white, almost too bright, illuminating the place as if it was trying to introduce the bright artificial light into every corner so no evil could lurk. 

There, the man of her nightmares sat behind the sheet of glass. He looked older and scruffier than when she had last seen him. 

Bile built in her throat, the same way the water had as he held her under all those years ago. She wanted to turn, to run, to leave, to get as far away as she possibly could...but this was the only way to make this stop. 

Richard's eyes were on her like she was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. His beady brown eyes tracked every move of her, to the way she clenched her fingers around the binder she held, to the pounding pulse in her neck, to the way her hair fluttered with the small gust of air conditioning. 

He couldn't take his eyes off her. 

 The security guard pointed to a certain chair for her to sit in. She licked her lips, nodded and made her way to the seat. 

Each step felt like she was walking to her certain death, but she knew that he wouldn't hurt her with the guards here and the big piece of glass between them helped... a lot. 

Finally, she came to a stop in front of the chair, now only a couple feet away from him. Everything in her body was telling her to run, but instead, she pulled out the chair and ever-so-slowly sat down. 

Richard watched her every move, still and when he slowly smiled and reached to grab the phone, Sydney swallowed hard and did the same. 

The open ended sound at the end of the line met with her ear, along with the sound of Richard's soft panting breaths. 

"Richard." She said, he smiled showing yellowing teeth. He had a thick brown and greying beard that was tangled and scraggly. 

She shuddered.

 "Oh, dear daughter of mine. How nice of you to come visit me." He said and his voice made her skin crawl to the point where she wanted to jump back. 

She didn't. 

Instead, she replied. "Oh trust me, I wouldn't have if I didn't have to." 

He smiled again, tipping his head to the side, a fake, cruel, evil smile. "You sure have grown up since I saw you last," his eyes roamed her like a feast and she swallowed hard, eyes momentarily closing as she tried to quell the disgust and fear running through her. "You look amazing, my little girl."