Chapter Twenty

I woke up a little earlier than Adiel the next morning, finding the taller angel curled up in my arms, sound asleep. The morning sun streamed through the windows, it's light making his wings almost glow as he cuddled closer to me, stirring in his sleep. My hands travelled down his back, massaging his hips and lower spine where I knew he'd be sore.

Adiel shifted again, his eyes fluttering open as he looked around the room, disoriented. He looked up at me, frowning as his gaze hardened. "What are you doing in my bed?" he asked, pulling my hands off. "Get out."

I pouted but complied, sitting up and looking down at myself, silently cursing the entire notion of morning wood. Adiel and I were both naked, though the majority of his body was hidden under the sheets. He followed my gaze, raking his eyes down my body before glancing down at his own.

"Why am I naked?" he asked suspiciously, glaring at me as I hopped out of the bed and stretched my arms over my head.

"It's nothing," I promised, leaning down to peck him on the lips.

Adiel jerked away and shoved me off, making me stumble back a few feet. He stood up, ready to push me again, but froze, his hand flying to rub his back before realisation seemed to dawn on him, and he pinned me with another menacing glare. "What did you do?" he growled.

The room seemed to grow cold as an uneasy chill ran down my spine. I moved to sit beside him, frowning guiltily as he tensed. "I...might have gotten a little excited when you said you preferred me over Gabriel."

He bent over, clutching his head, disoriented and looking as though he was about to be sick. "That wasn't a dream," he said shakily, before the room grew eerily quiet. Adiel looked up at me, the next words that came out of his mouth a mere whisper. "You used me."

"No," I said quickly, but Adiel cut me off.

"Yes! You were using those mind tricks again! Do you get some sort of kick out of playing with people like that?" He stood up, refusing to look at me as he glared at the wall behind me, running his hand through his hair. "I can't believe I was actually starting to fall for your stupid tricks."

I stood up slowly and moved to stand in front of him, before kneeling down and hugging his waist, pressing my face against his taut stomach. "I didn't want to make you angry," I mumbled. "I just-"

"Don't touch me," Adiel cut me off, pushing me away as he moved towards the door, grabbing the pair of pyjama pants he wore and tugging them on.

"Adiel, please," I croaked, feeling my eyes begin to water as I stood up and followed him out into the hallway. By now, the maids had been going about their business for a few hours, and they'd stopped to see what was going on. "I swear, I didn't mean to hurt you. I...I love you."

He froze, making me think for a moment that maybe he'd understood why I'd did what I'd done. Instead, Adiel turned, striking me across the face with an angry balled-up fist. "You don't know what love is," he sneered, kneeing me in the gut for good measure. "Get out."

I collapsed to my knees, trying to regain my breath as I watched Adiel make his way down the stairs and out into the gardens; his imp, Castus, appearing seemingly out of no where to follow him.