7 | a coward

[ i recommend revisiting the cast page. a LOT of extra characters were added, as we may be meeting some more sea elves soon, and wanted you to have an idea of who i was picturing each time a brother or her father were mentioned !

and this chapter is truly half cute isildur fluff and half heated halbrand angst. enjoy and continue to let me know who you're rooting for ]

☆︎

THE SEA LED YOU DOWN THIS PATH, AND NOW YOU WILL MAKE A FOOL OF IT WHEN THE SUN RISES.

All of Númenor was alive as people celebrated the last night on the island. The streets and taverns were filled with soldiers and their loved ones saying goodbye, knowing many would not return. Nimriel had never found the kingdom so enchanting, finding the food, songs, and dancing to be so incredibly joyful despite the coming battle.

The Sea Elf got to know many of the men and women that were going on the expedition with her, including the ones that tried to fight off Galadriel. They were quite excited to formally meet her, as her kind were like deities to them growing up — things of legends.

When meeting Valandil and Ontamo, Nimriel avoided bringing up Isildur. Word had spread, of course, that the Sea Elf and the Captain's son spent an inordinate amount of time together and were getting closer with each day, but she knew his friends would not want to discuss him while still upset over being removed from the Sea Guard trials.

Nimriel found the two boys quite fun to be around, as well as Ontamo's fiancé, Mairen. They took the time to teach her old Númenorean songs about the legend of how the island came to be. But eventually, she broke off from them, giving Ontamo some time alone with Mairen — though Valandil had no qualms about coming in between the two, much to Nim's amusement as she wandered off.

Despite having several cups of ale, Nimriel found herself unable to get drunk like those humans around her. Before departing from the celebrations, Galadriel had explained how Elves had a much higher tolerance for alcohol and that she'd have to either drink an unprecedented amount of theirs or wait until she could visit an Elven kingdom to try their stronger alcohol if she wished to truly experience the effects.

So, Nim was working on her — well, she didn't bother to count — cup of ale, not really feeling anything while leaning against a stone wall. She listened to the crowd singing with a smile on her face, glad that the men could find one last night of joy before leaving.

It was while standing on her own that she sensed a familiar presence. Isildur was only a few feet away, his feet shuffling as he neared the celebration almost skittishly, sticking to the shadows. But Nim could likely pick him out in a crowd of thousands.

"Isil," Nimriel called, going to his side.

When he saw her, his eyes that had been so sad lightened a little, and he smiled at her. "Good evening, Nim," he greeted, nodding his head a bit. "I did not get a chance earlier with so many surrounding you, but I found your fight with my father most impressive — and amusing."