24 | ADMIT

24 | ADMIT
Lex Hope Is More Clueless Than A Wattpad Main-Character

Ivan Petrov

I wake up with my face pressed onto Hope's back. I've woken up this way the whole week with the Hopes gone on their mini vacation for Bas and I haven't gotten used to it.

I stretch my hands while savouring his scent and lean against the headboard. I give Hope's firm shoulder a firmer shake. "Wake up, your parents can come any moment."

"They're already here," a feminine voice says. The door creaks and I see Emelia Hope standing, two excited dogs pouncing at her. "The three of us came in with a spare key."

Hope stirs beneath the sheets and yawns. "Mom! You're here. When did you come?"

"Just now, honey." She walks in and removes all the clothes piled up on Hope's study chair. Then takes her place on it. "I'm glad the two of you've gotten closer."

Hope pulls himself up, our legs connect beneath the sheets. I don't look at him. "How's Sebastian?" I ask.

"Better, I suppose. But I really can't tell." She shakes her head. "He doesn't speak up much. He didn't eat very well either, the food there did taste weird but... Maybe you should talk to him."

"I've been meaning to," I say, practically jumping off the bed. "Will he be too tired to talk now?"

Emelia shakes her head. "He slept on the ride. Check on him, if he's tired he'll tell you."

I nod. I brush my teeth in record time and rush to Sebastian's room.

***

Sebastian's sitting against the piano in his room, his fingers trailing on the keys as he plays a piece from memory. The door is left ajar and I haven't knocked yet. Just as my fingers linger against the hardwood, Sebastian looks at me.

His hands drop from the piano. "Hey Ivan."

"Hi," I respond as I step in. Every time I entered Sebastian's room, he'd be sitting on the carpet, back against the side of the bed, knees bent to support the spine of a graphic novel he'd be flipping. I genuinely thought the piano in the corner was either for show or storage.

"I didn't know you played." I gesture at the piano. He walks over and we take our place on the carpet against the bed.

He shrugs. "Mum's really passionate about all of this. She made both of us pick instruments. I really wanted one of those electric keyboards so I could make more sounds and stuff. Looked cool. But dad thinks we should be more authentic or something. I don't know."

"Your brother plays something too?"

"He used to, the guitar. Acoustic. He hasn't played in years, though. Lex does what he wants."

I nod slowly. Hope is probably the last person I'd imagine with a guitar - that too an acoustic one. Suits him, though. He's a huge softie on the inside. "How are you feeling?" I ask Sebastian.

"Sleepy," he says, mussing his hair. "I'd kill to get one peaceful night of sleep. One night when I don't think of her." His face falls and it makes me want to grab his hand. Ever since his girlfriend, Jessica Snow and her family wordlessly left town, Sebastian's been in a terrible state. I haven't seen him smile even once after he heard the news. I don't blame him though; what he's going through is far worse than a break up.

"I know you miss her." I've never been good with words. But I can't stay quiet - not when Sebastian's barely functioning.

"I do," he admits, eyes on the floor. "I thought one week away from home would distract me from it. From her absence." He shakes his head. "Now I'm back and the first thing I think is, I've got to tell Jess about the trip! And that's obviously not--" His voice cracks. Breaks. Shatters. "I'm sorry I'm telling you all this. You shouldn't be hearing my sad story."