One small step

Todoroki POV

It's the beginning of a new week, seven more day. It's like a reset, a new beginning, a fresh start. I can't help but think that something is going to happen this week. The next morning, I wake up before my alarm. I get my uniform on without much trouble. I leave my blazer for now since I didn't what to get anything on it. I go downstairs, the house is quiet, everyone is still asleep. This is my favour time of the day, a time I can walk around the house on my terms not my father's terms. I check the door and his things are gone, he has already left, he usually leaves early in the morning to go be a hero, to show other citizens there is nothing to fear. Unintentionally, this leaves me feeling safe in my own house. Today I make my siblings breakfast. When my siblings come down, we eat together. It's the closest thing to a family we have in the Todoroki home.

Natsuo breaks the morning silence, "Hey, what's that on your shirt?"

I look at my right arm and there was a large blood stain on my shirt.

"I think it's blood," I whisper trying not to let the tears fall.

"It's okay Shoto, I'll get some new bandages and a new shirt," Natsuo smiles.

"Hey Fuyumi, I don't have to wear a short sleeve shirt, do I?" I ask tears falling down my cheek.

"Of course not. Remember, I only bought you one short sleeve, and the rest are all long sleeves. I know you prefer long sleeve shirts to hide you burns and bandages," Fuyumi gently responses.

"Thanks, I really appreciate that," I say wiping my right eye.

"Anytime Shoto," she came over and hugs me from behind.

The hug feels nice, it's reminding me of the moments with mom. I close my eyes and a fleeting memory enters my mind. I was four or five and in my mother's room. I remember it was chilly in her bedroom, it was always colder than the rest of the house, but the cold never bothered me like it bothered my father. I burrowed myself in my mother's arms afraid if I let go she would disappear. I just got my quirk, father was not yet home but even in my young, confused brain I knew what this meant, my father already started my training to become his tool to best All Might. I remember saying to mom I don't what to become a hero like father, he never smiles only frowns. The memory continues, my mom comforting me, tears stream down my face blurring my vision. I remember the chilliness nipping at my young skin as warm tears continue down my face. I hear her voice; my mother voice always had a means to calm me down. I hug Fuyumi back, opening my eyes and focus on the snow glob resting on the counter. Her voice reminds me of a snow glob. The quiet snowflakes fall in perfect harmony with the glitter that could light up an entire room.

I was brought back to reality by my brother. "Let's get you ready for school," Natsuo smiles as he walks over with the first aid kit and a fresh shirt from my room.

I move my chair around to face Natsuo. He helps me take off the shirt with the blood on it.

"I know I haven't told you this, but I am so proud of you for going to school even though you are scared," Natsuo says unwrapping my arms.

"Thanks, Natsuo that means a lot," I reply.

Natsuo cleans the dried blood off my arm, then grabs my right arm and begins rewrapping my arm.

"I know I'm not always the one to handle your freak outs, but I am always here for you," Natsuo grins.

I nod in response. Once both my bandages were changed Natsuo helps me put on a clean shirt. He picks me up from my chair and pulled me into a hug.

"I love you little bro," as Natsuo shakes my two-toned hair.

"I love you too," I say laying my head on his chest.