Chapter Thirty-Five

Nobody said a word. Not one—Gabe, Lachesis or Renalda—seemed aware of the rudeness of staring, like somehow, they surpassed the parameters placed around basic manners. I felt like a circus freak or, perhaps more accurately, a kitten trapped in a cage with panthers.

They were predatory, always patient with their prey before they pounced to kill.

Of course, that was for survival, a natural instinct one was born with rather than taught. This, however, was cruel. It was neither for defense nor an extension of life. They may not be in it to kill, but they were far from passive. If I wanted to figure them out, I'd have to grow a thicker shell to protect against what they seemed determined to put me through to reach the level of understanding required.

"So, you've been lying to me the whole time I've been here?" I asked, still focused on Renalda. She hadn't confirmed it, but I knew who she was and couldn't believe I'd ever miss it. Now that I saw her with the real Lachesis, felt the power emanating from the true Goddess, it was ridiculously obvious. "Why? And don't give me the spiel about wanting to help me. Yes, we talked, but you're just as skilled with deflection as they are."

She smiled. "Thank you."

"It wasn't a compliment. As a rule, I don't praise liars, especially not those who lie to me about me."

"Alyssa," Gabe said, "I told you I would be right back."

"Yeah," I said, nodding. I inclined my head in his direction but didn't look away form Renalda. "You did, Gabe. You told me you'd be right back, and I assume you expected me to stay until you returned, but I'm equally sure you understand how much I don't want to be kept out of this conversation. I'm done accepting information after the fact since apparently, I'm not important enough to learn the truth before whatever secret you keep me from comes to pass."

"We haven't lied to you," the real Lachesis said. Her voice was so melodic, almost unreal, and I had no clue how I had been mistaken—Renalda's voice hadn't changed with her body and was husky in comparison.

"Of course, you haven't. How can not telling me anything be construed as a lie?"

"Alyssa," Gabe warned.

I glanced at Gabe and rolled my eyes. He was just as culpable. Looking at them, it was clear how much each was to blame for my confusion. Be a leader. Toe the line. Don't ask questions... Obey. Maybe before I died I would have done those things. But now?

"I'm done," I told them, taking the time to hold each of their gazes pointedly. "Don't bother discussing anymore and then refuse to tell me. Don't make plans that include me in schemes you've all mapped out for my future." I shrugged, pasted on an I-don't-care expression with a you-knew-my-terms smile, and flicked my wrists to wave my hand in the air. "I. Am. Done."

To maximize the effect I intended, I turned on my heel and walked out of the room. They all called me back, but it was like they no longer existed for me. I was in a bubble, away from their secrets, lies, and watchful stares. It was just me and... well, me. That's what had been missing all along.

I was done.

Free.

The obligation of being a leader, of guiding a new generation of angels too young to have figured out who they were before they died, was lifted. It was funny. All this time I was so hung up on not knowing things, of threatening to walk away, and now it didn't matter. The weight was gone. It felt so much better than I ever could have expected. To be free....

I hadn't appreciated it before, when I was still a part of the Mortal Realm, and now, nothing could compare.

*****