Chapter Twenty-Nine

My breath whistled out between my teeth and I reached out to the doorframe for support. "Gabe, uh... Gabe said that wasn't a guarantee."

"I have rules, same as the Brothers do, but we aren't restricted in the same ways." She shrugged, once again acting as though something that meant everything to me was of little concern, like it was an everyday occurrence for her. "If you want to see your parents, I will help you."

"What's the catch?" I held my breath but gained my composure and let go of the doorframe to stand straight.

"There isn't one," Lachesis said. "But there are limitations if you choose to go."

Was it a trick? If she was willing to help me see my parents, but placed limitations on it, would it still be worth it? As far as I could reason, anything would be better than the nothing I had now. If I could just make sure my parents were okay, I would feel a world of guilt lift from my shoulders. I just want them to be happy, even if it isn't with me.

I walked back to my chair and sat, clasping my hands on the top of the table to keep my nerves from giving away my uncertainty. "What are your terms?"

"You can see them, but they can't see you," she said. "That, along with the fact that we'll be connected the whole time, will keep you from running away once we arrive."

"Connected?" Was this really something that I wanted? It wasn't long-term, I hoped. All I needed was to say yes to see my parents and somehow be tricked into being connected to Lachesis for all time. What would that mean? Until my natural life ended or... I am not spending my afterlife connected to a Sister of Fate!

"Not to worry, the connection is like a tether of sorts," she said, once again answering a question I hadn't voiced, though this time it was likely that she saw the fear I felt as it took over my expression. "It will only last as long as the potion lasts." She narrowed her eyes. "I promise, I don't want to be connected to someone who's been around as much death as you have about as much as I assume you don't want to be stuck with me for longer than necessary."

Well, she had a point there, but I still had a niggling question left. "How will my parents know I'm okay if I can't tell them?"

"I don't know."

Her shrug, so effortless and carefree, implied that she didn't care. Her offer was made only in an attempt to placate me. She didn't want me to leave, but couldn't make me stay, and I was sure her so-called rules made sure she couldn't force me to act against my own free will. Killing me had been different. Fate ruled life, and she'd known all along how to trick Death. They'd made a calculated mistake.

"I need a minute to think. Is that okay? Or do you expect me to leave right now?"

She craned her head back to look up to me as I stood once again. We both knew what I would choose, but the pretense of indecision bought me time to plan. How could I let my parents know I was okay if I couldn't tell them? They wouldn't even be able to see me.

"I'll give you a half hour," she said.

I smiled and nodded, and then rushed out of the kitchen with her still sitting at the table. Down the hall, up the three steps, and into my room filled with boxes. The answer to my problem was simple, the same as I'd used so effectively before. Suddenly having a plan made me eager.

My parents would know I'm okay.

*****

"Can't you just snap your fingers and get us there?" I asked, eyeing the vial filled with liquid. The glass was spun just as the one in my pocket, but the puke-green contents made me want to add to its supply with natural additives—there was no way to drink it without losing my dinner, even if it did sparkle and shine. At least the purple potion only required a drop—the taste could be overlooked or even overshadowed with a good piece of gum. But this? Lachesis had just finished explaining we had to drink this potion until it was gone, and it was almost enough to make me tell her to forget her offer.