Chapter Forty Four

Val's POV:

The governor suddenly wanted to sit down and have a chat with my brother. Clear the air so we've been told. Much to Rick and Daryl's dismay, I decided to tag along as back up, at least Hershel was okay with me coming. We were getting ready to leave, when Carl walked up to me holding what appeared to be my old crossbow and whip. "Aunt Val, I thought you might have wanted these," He said, handing the items to me with a wide smile on his face,

"Oh my god, how on earth did you get these?" I questioned, returning a smile back to my nephew.

"Let's just say that your house wasn't as run down as you thought it might have been," Rick piped up.

"You went to my house?" I asked confused.

"Well if I remember correctly you had quite the armory of your own, and I knew you wouldn't have been able to grab it all when you first left."

"And I also found these," My brother said, holding out a small, light brown teddy bear that had a red, velvet ribbon tied around the neck in a bow. He also held a lilac coloured baby blanket that had a white embroidery on it. I could just make out what it said, Emerson. I looked up at my brother with tears in my eyes. "How did you-" I began to question.

"I always knew Val. I knew about the pregnancy, Mom and Dad told me. They were worried about you. I know that didn't often show it, but they did care about you. I know mom was the only person that knew about your stillbirth, since she was the only person you wanted in the delivery room, even though she may not have been the one to take you to the hospital she still came to be by your side. I know that you were supposed to have a little girl and you were going to name her Emerson because that was the name mom and dad were going to call you." Small tears ran down my cheeks. After all this time I had no idea that Rick even knew about any of it.

"I should have told you myself. I'm sorry Rick."

"Don't apologise Val, it was a long time ago now and back then you were going through a lot. I can understand why you didn't. It made a lot more sense to me when you miscarried the baby you and Shane were supposed to have. Why it meant so much just to go through it all, why you were completely devasted from losing that chance not long after finding out. I understand it all Val and even though you didn't tell me the other stuff I'm still always going to be here for you, no matter how I find out. Whether that's a new relationship, you find that your pregnant again or anything. I'm your big brother, and if there's something you need to tell me you always can." He explained, pulling me in for a comforting hug, something Rick and I never really do anymore. Not since we were kids.

"Actually Rick there was something I wanted to tell you about." I stated.

"Oh yeah and what's that?"

"Um Daryl and I ar-"

"It's time to hit the road people!" I heard Daryl call out. 'Shit' I thought to myself.

"Maybe you can tell me later Val,"

"Yeah sure okay." I replied, as I watched Rick walk away to say his goodbyes before he headed for the car. I gave Carl a hug and Judith a kiss on the head before meeting the others, as soon enough we were heading to meet up spot.

**

Rick and Daryl went ahead to scout the area before Rick walked into what appeared to be some sort of shed. I stood by the car, while Hershel sat inside it, waiting to see what Daryl may find. "He's already in there. Sat down with Rick." Daryl stated.

"I don't see any cars"

"It don't feel right. Keep it running."

Before we knew it, a car approached us. "Heads up," Daryl warned. I kept my crossbow aimed and ready for it was ever needed, keeping my whip at close range, considering it was the quicker option then the throwing knives I kept in my boots. Three people got out of the car. There was one I didn't recognise, one was Andrea and the last people one I remember from when Maggie, Glenn and I were held hostage in Woodbury. "What the hell? Whys your boy already in there?" Daryl questioned, keeping his crossbow trained on them.