Chapter Six

Val's POV:

When I woke up, it felt like I had hit with a ton of bricks. My head was killing me, I hadn't drunk that much for a long time, I guess my body just couldn't handle like it used to. But I'm betting I don't feel as bad as Glenn right now, he'd be feeling worse than me with how much Daryl was getting him to drink. I decided to get up and make myself feel a little more human. I grabbed whatever bralette I had that was long enough to cover up the secrets that lied on my bare skin, then throwing on the flannel shirt over top, leaving it unbuttoned. I put on whatever denim shorts I had that were still a little bit clean, laced up my boots, placing my trusty knife back in its spot, tying back some of my hair in a bun, then walking out to find everyone else.

I walked into the cafeteria, the first thing I heard was Glenn groaning in pain, mumbling to never let him drink again. T-dog walked over serving everyone the eggs he had made, also telling Glenn that protein is the best with helping getting over a hangover. The moment Shane had walked in, I took one look at Lori, and I could tell she was immediately uncomfortable with his presence, especially when some scratches on his neck got brought up. He tried playing it off that he'd done it in while he was asleep, but he kept glancing at Lori like she knew the truth. Between the pair of them I knew something was up, but I knew it was best to not ask about it, they clearly didn't want anyone finding out the truth.

**

Jenner showed us a vigil of a brain, one that belonged to a person who was infected, someone who dies. I had never seen anything like it before. When the resurrection process occurs, we lose who were before and just become this walking, lifeless shell. Not a single shred of who we once were ever comes back.

It all became too much, I had to walk out of there, I couldn't let anyone see just how vulnerable I had started to become. The moment I walked into the room I was staying in; I immediately broke down. Completely sobbing. I've always been the strong one, never letting my emotions get the better of me, but maybe that was my downfall. I have years worth of trauma I never spoke about, hid it from everyone. I never realised just how bad I had I was, until these past few days.

My true self hit me like a bullet train, and I wasn't ready for that reality check yet, that part was clear.

**

I was brought back from my thoughts, when I heard everyone rushing down the hallway following after Jenner. I immediately gathered my things, wiped my face, and walked out, following after everyone else. Turns out that the generators were running out of fuel, which meant that a facility wide decontamination was going to erupt. The air would be set on fire once the timer had run out, causing building to explode. Immediate panic set in everyone, especially when Jenner sealed the door keeping us all in the same room.

I could see everyone panicking, but I couldn't hear their pleas. Everything went quiet the only thing I heard was my heart pounding erratically in my chest, I was struggling to breathe, tears streaming down my face.

"Val! Val!" my brother called, trying get my attention.

"Valentina, look at me, listen to my voice. We have to get out of here before it's too late! Can you at least do that for me?" all I could do was nod my head at Rick's request. I knew the danger we were facing but I could barely even move. I felt someone grab my arm and pulled me out of there.

Rick managed to break one of the windows, with a grenade that Carol found when she washed his clothes. Everyone instantly climbed out and got into whatever vehicle they could. Daryl pulled me into his truck, shielding me as the building erupted in a blast.

We waited for a short moment, to be sure before sitting back up. For brief moment, our faces were so close, I really believed we just might've kissed, until he pulled away, starting up the truck to get back on the road, as we followed the lead of the ones in front of us.

**

It was quiet between the two of us, until we made a stop to cut back on the amount vehicles we had. Rick, Lori, Carl, Sophia, and Carol went in Carol's Cherokee, Daryl swapped to the motorcycle, everyone else went in Dale's RV which meant I was going to have to be around Shane till we made to Fort Benning. "Hey, uh, if ya alright with sittin' on the back, ye can still ride with me," Daryl said with hesitation once again in his voice.

"Trust me I'll be alright, thank you," I replied, a smile planted across as I sat down on the back of the motorcycle. In the that moment I felt genuine happiness, although I felt like someone was watching me whenever interacted with Daryl. I had a feeling I knew who I would be watching me from a far, I made it pretty clear how things were going to be. I wanted nothing to do with Shane and if he doesn't like who I talk to then that's just too damn bad. He lost me a long time ago.

**