11

Adrianus was shirtless, in only his trousers testing out the sword in his hand. His stitches were out, but his scars from that night and many other old ones were still evident. His stance and control on the weapon were much more prominent, as he was sober.

His eyes scanned from the bottom hem of my dress to my drenched hair. As I'll spend the rest of the day at home, I decided to avoid the corset, which made the dress resemble a nightgown. The wind caressed my bare legs, hidden beneath the thin material of the dress, as chills ran down my spine.

From our lack of clothes, the tight space of the cottage, our almost near-kiss experience in the rain, I should have feared what may come next.

I should have warned him that we can be no more than friends, but I stood silent, allowing him to ogle me as I ogled him. I should have been frightened, nervous at least if things escalated, yet all I felt was excitement and calmness.

He placed the weapon down on the bed and walked towards me, stopping a couple of feet away.

"How do you know about the term karma?"

Of all things that will escape his mouth, this will be the least expected. I was confused at his question and realized what I said before I went to change.

"What about karma?"

"It's not a Nordfjord term."

"How do you know about it then?"

I questioned back.

"I should be asking you that."

I gave him a questioning look, truly confused.

"My mother, from the southern lands knew about this word, as it is from her region and culture. Nobody from here, other than for a few close people, learned about Alasian words and their meanings. You don't look like you are from the Indies and you said you have no family, so how did you come to learn of this word?"

His voice wasn't hostile, merely curious. Something I admired of him was that he was direct to his point and now was no exception.

"It is a common phrase from where I come from. I might not be from there, but there is a possibility that some words were mixed from different regions."

He nodded his head thoughtfully. During our third encounter, he questioned my whereabouts before residing in England and I simply said overseas and I came through a ship as a child, therefore forgot about my previous life before settling in the Northern lands.

That was the biggest lie I uttered to him and I felt embarrassed, yet I knew that I was obliged to or he wouldn't stop sending me those questioning glances. I cherished and held onto every memory of my family as if it was a lifeline, as it was what kept me strong during these tough times.

"That is true. And you were right about karma attacking my throat."

He said lightening the mood. I smiled and offered some tea, per usual which he gladly accepted.

"It's getting dark and the rain hasn't stopped pouring yet. Maybe I should stay here for the night?"

"I think you should."

He looked at me with a shocked expression, which soon turned doubtful.

"You're serious."

"I'm not that cruel of a person to send you off in the middle of a rainstorm."

"I know that bu-"

"- plus if I do send you and you get injured in the muddy terrain I'll have to help you single-handedly. With the help of Max and Callahan, you were an impossible patient, especially under the influence of alcohol, and I can't think about treating you alone."

I said with fake annoyance. He shoved my shoulder lightly as I scowled back at him.

"Punching you just about now seems very enticing."

I draw out as he raises an eyebrow in challenge. Suddenly he pounced on me like a tiger as I shrieked in surprise.

The King of Nordfjord, a valiant soldier did the unthinkable. He began tickling me as I laughed my ass off.

"Now I dare you to punch me, my dear angel."
"Ok, ok, I won't attack you."

I said greedily breathing in air. He had a smug expression on his face as if he captured a whole kingdom.

We both laid on the floor side by side as our arms brushed. I felt so happy and like a huge burden that's been sinking me down for years, was lifted off me for this moment. I turned my head towards him, as he did to me and we shared a smile.

I didn't want this joyous mood to end and for once I blocked out my thoughts about the past and future, just focusing on the present, on Adri, on us, on this moment.

"What do you think would have happened if it weren't for that thunder?"

"Thunder?"

I questioned.

"The thunder shaking us off our daze when we were soaked in the rain."

I was grateful that it was dark in the room, as my cheeks heated at the memory of our close proximity.

"I guess we'll never know."

I replied to his earlier question. Confessing the truth out loud felt like something serious, something that will ruin this happy moment. A comforting silence enveloped us, and unlike the past times that I welcomed it, I didn't want the night to end so soon.

So I did the first thing that came to my mind. I balled my hand into a fist and quickly punched his abdomen. I knew it was harmless for him, from his tightened muscles and my lack of effort. What I didn't expect was for him to grab my hand and lay over my body.

His elbows and feet supported his weight so he doesn't crash down on me, but our noses were mere millimetres from touching.

"If you wanted to feel my muscled abdomen, you could have told me."

"If you wanted to touch my waist you could have told me."

I replied in a mocking tone.

"I did want to touch your waist, and the curves of your body, your lips, and so much more. But most importantly I wanted to be here"

"He pointed a finger right above the beating muscle in my chest.

"I want to be in your heart, as you are seeping into mine."