Answers(Chapter 5)

_____________Jayden POV___________

     The small note on the dash caught my eye the instant I slipped into the truck. Whaa? I grabbed it and quickly unfolded the paper. It was scribbled on, as if the writer had written it with great haste.

                        Go to the place you saw me on Sunday.

                        6:00

                        We need to talk

                        And don't even think of bringing anyone

     Of course, I knew who it was from, it was from her.And the entire drive back to the manor, I was mentally debating if I should go or not. Of course I wanted to. That was an obvious fact. But I couldn't help my fears of the unknown creep into my mind. She was.....well the only way  I could describe her from that night is the angel of death. And I knew her secret....well...I saw a part of her secret. Would she kill me? I knew very well that she could. In the end I knew that I wouldn't  able to resist.

     Later that night after throwing an excuse to  Dr. Ven, I set off to find Enda. When I entered the woods I knew for sure where we had met, but of course things usually turn out the opposite. Like now, for example. And that is how I ended up wandering around the Gate Woods at 6:30.

 "This situation really sucks for you." I jumped at the sound of a voice in the trees above. I saw a shadow leap from a tree in front of me, whipping out its wings before folding them loosely. Enda.

 "So Jayden, how ya been?"

...............Enda Pov................

     He nearly came out of his socks when I jumped down. Mission success. That's for turning my life upside down. "So Jayden, how ya been?" I asked mockingly as I sat on the forest floor.

" Fine actually." He shot back without a moment hesitation.

 I arched an eyebrow. Ah, this would be interesting. Cute...sense of humor.....if only the guy had wings. No.No.No. I wasn't here to goo over the human. This was serious.

 "Have you told anyone?" I asked.

 "No."

 "Are you planning to tell anyone?"

 "Not sure the would believe me if I did."

 "True...true."

 "Anymore questions?" He asked.

 "What do you think I am?" I asked, regretting it the moment it left my mouth.

 "An angel?" Jayden asked questioningly. I laughed aloud, knowing that would be his first guess.

 "Far from it actually." I grinned evilly.

     About five guesses later, the boy finally gave up."What are you?" He asked. I laughed at his expression.

  "I am a Valkyrie." I declared proudly and immediately regretted it. Funny how this conversation was full of regrets.

 "Like the movie?" Jayden asked, looking bewildered. I sighed, rolling my eyes in a very dramatic-teenager way.

 "No, Valkyrie are servants of Oden, a god you may have heard of....Norse mythology?" I asked. He stared at me blankly.

 Of course not.

    " Like I said, Valkyrie are the warrior servants of Oden. Valkyrie literally means, choosers of the slain. We carry dying souls of brave warriors to Oden's palace of Valhalla." I let that sink in for a moment.

 "Wait, why do you bring them there?" He asked, with a surprisingly straight face.

 "Ah...for the final battle." I answered. "When evil will battle good to reveal the fate of the world." I bit my lip. Lets hope that doesn't happen anytime soon..... He blinked in confusion, then looked rather startled.

 "So are you evil?" He asked.

 It was the one question I had hoped he wouldn't.

 .............Jayden Pov...............

    I sat quietly, facing her as she explained everything. Then I asked the question that had been on my mind since she launched into this. "Are you...evil?" I whispered, fearing her answer. I saw her eyes flash in panic.

 "I wish it was that simple." She laughed, but I could see the sadness in her eyes. Beautiful eyes...... "You didn't ask why I'm not carrying souls." She said. "I was banished from Valhalla." She whispered, and the wind immediately picked up, as if it had heard her. Any person with half a wit would have took off by now, but I had never been that intelligent anyways.

 "Why?" I couldn't help but asking. My mother did always say I was to curious for my own good.

 "I refused to carry a soul to Oden..." Enda trailed off, her eyes unfocused as if she were remembering something. Concerned, I moved closer to her. Her eyes focused and she settled her gaze on me. "Someone loved him, I couldn't take him....." She looked troubled.

 "Then you did the right thing." I reassured her.

 "He just died anyways." She stated bitterly.

     And like the weak sap I was, I immidiently started pouring out my past to her. My mother's death. Dr Ven. And Enda listened through it all, nodding once in a while, her eyes sympathetic.

 "Funny how life sucks,isnt it?" She asked when I had finished.

  And then I just couldnt control my self anymore. I leaned forward and kissed her. Enda the Valkyrie, who could probably, no certainly kill me easily. But suprising me, she responded, returning the kiss as ardently as it had been given. Clearly both affected by the dramatic sharing of our pasts and all of the bundled up emotions released, we drew together as the wind began to whip fiercely through the trees. The entire forest quaked under the force of it. But it didnt matter. At some point I felt her shadowy wings curl around us, as if she were concealing us from prying eyes. Her feathers were soft and delicate, fluttering in the wind around us but stubbornly staying in place.

  Then lightning struck.

 Enda jumped away, folding her wings and huddling against a tree. Her expression twisted to one of fear , she glanced at the sky.

 "Whats wrong?" I asked taking a step towards her. It started to pour, I realized.

 "Stay away." She looked up at me, her eyes dazed with something otherworldly. The wind howled and lightning struck a tree near us, making me jump and Enda cringe.The branches cracked and the tree swayed before falling.Right towards me. Something crashed into me, shoving me out of the path of the tree.

"Youre going to get yourself killed!" Enda shouted, her eyes wide. "Humans.....with theyre delayed reactions..." She muttered.

By now the rain had stopped,ending as quickly as it had came , and the wind had settled to a light breeze. The only evidence of the storm as the fallen tree.

"That wasnt natural, was it Enda?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

She shook her head, then looked up at the darkening sky. She ruffled her wings and stood, looking off into the distance.

"I have to go." She stated. Looking dully at me. Her emotional eyes that I had come to love were clear. Her expression blank. She took off into the treeline, darting from side to side and moving with inhuman speed. I started to protest and call out to her but she was already gone.

What was that about?