Chapter 8

TW's (Contain spoilers): Self harm, slight dissociation/existential crisis, description of death, burning
Also cuddles near the end

Schlatt," he calls, grinning and waving at him. "Good to be back?"

Schlatt groans, wandering over. "Hell no. I have a fucking class in ten minutes. If you got any time this afternoon I guess we can grab a coffee or seven. God knows I need it. I fucking hate getting up early."

"Boohoo," Wilbur sniffs, and laughs. "Yeah, I'm free. One thirty?"

"See ya," Schlatt says, raising his hand in goodbye, and heads off. As Wilbur watches, he's joined by Minx. Wilbur knows her – not very well, though. He's glad Schlatt is making more friends, anyway – as far as he's aware, Schlatt's fairly good friends with Dream from his classes, but that's about it – or at least, out of the people in the same class.

When he thinks about it – Wilbur doesn't really have anyone else. He hangs out with people, sure, but the only person he'd call a close friend is Schlatt. Ah, well.

He's already looking forwards to meeting Schlatt after the classes.

He's ten minutes early, waiting outside the small starbucks just outside of the school, and eventually Schlatt turns up, walking with Minx. "Hey, Wilbur," he calls, and Wilbur waves back. "This is Minx."

"Hey," Minx says, blinking. "Schlatt, I already know Wilbur."

"Not very well," Schlatt shrugs.

"Fair enough," she says with raised eyebrows, and holds out a hand to Wilbur which he shakes politely.

"Want some coffee?" he asks them, and Minx shrugs and nods, Schlatt following suit.

Wilbur pays for the coffee, slightly irked by the fact that Minx is there – it's been a good few days since he's seen Schlatt, and they haven't really talked during that time either – but it's fine. At least Schlatt's making a couple new friends.

"How'd the assignment go?" he asks, handing them their cups.

"Good," Schlatt shrugs. "Got it done on time, at least."

"Yeah, Schlatt's usually fucking late with everything," Minx laughs (as if Wilbur didn't know that already), taking a sip of the coffee. "Thanks, Wilbur. Wait, shit, I need to go," she yelps suddenly, and takes off, yelling a goodbye.

"Well, she's gone," Schlatt remarks, and snorts. "Minx is a laugh."

"Didn't know you were close with her," Wilbur says, leaning against the wall and slowly drinking his coffee.

"Nah, not really," Schlatt says, then smirks. "Why, you interested?"

Wilbur almost chokes, shaking his head. "Hell no, you dick, I hate your guts," he laughs. "But keep on dreaming – ow," he adds, as Schlatt playfully hits him over the head.

He wonders idly if he should suggest another server, and remembers that he should probably pay for their next visit. Which reminds him – "When's that job interview you got?"

"Tomorrow," Schlatt sighs. "Fucking hell, thanks for reminding me," he grumbles, and Wilbur laughs at him.

"Good luck."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. I gotta head out – see you around."

"See you," Wilbur smiles, trying to sound light-hearted, but he's never seen Schlatt so eager to leave a conversation with him. He's probably busy, anyway. There's a lot of work to be doing. Lot of places to be. Like drinking coffee with Minx. He shakes his head suddenly. Doesn't know why that thought occurred to him.