Chapter two

Chapter 2

Erik followed Dr. Sherrall out of the cell, already horrified with the thought of spending 10 years in a small jail cell with no freedom, discarded the thought of running in his head. He could see three guards slightly shadowing them, and three more ahead. Though there were alleyways that were on the side, he didn’t know if any guards were traveling parallel.

And the thought of making a mistake, getting caught, and spending so much of his life in jail ensured his obedience, something that Dr. Sherral had counted on. Also, the thought of training to fight appealed to him, as it should to almost every other young boy who dreamed of adventure.

Following Dr. Sherral, he walked into the rich part of the city, a part where he hadn’t gone to a lot, as he really had no business to.

Then, walking into one of the most rich and prominent buildings there were, Erik was quickly ushered inside and into a bath before he could even stop to ask for food. The building was grand, with an old-fashioned look and many rooms that were not used. The bath was certainly better than anything the community pool could be, with marble tile floors, a large baths, and plush silk towels.

After a long bath, and admittedly the best Richard ever had, Richard dressed in the clothes that Dr. Sherral had provided. They were light and didn’t encumber his movements. Already dressing up for the role, Richard thought.

Walking out, a maid spotted him and guided him to the dining room. Spotting Dr. Sherral, Richard sat down by his side, gazing at the feast laid out before him. Then, another matter caught his attention.

He saw a beautiful girl already sitting down at the chair. She was perfect, any boy's hopes and dreams. With glowing, healthy skin and beautiful flowing hair, Richard immediately fell for her. He could see her checking him out, however in her eye’s was an expression of slight distaste.

There were lobsters, chickens, fancy salads, ten different types of breads, some in cheese and some with honey, and much more. However, another concern was in his mind.

“I demand my clothes back. I have some stuff that are important to me” asked Richard. The money and his special dagger were in there. The dagger was from his grandfather, who gave it to his son and in turn gave it to Richard. His grandfather had been a great general, however he was fired after he refused to attack an innocent village. After he was fired, all his stuff had to be handed in but he managed to keep the dagger.

But the doctor just smiled. “Your lockpicks and dagger is in your room. The money however was returned to your victim. I must ask, where did you acquire that dagger? It seems to be too fancy for you, no offense. However, I did see your family name, Heklaith, inscribed on it. I admit I am curious.”

Richard stared at the doctor, wondering whether he should show offense at being slightly accused of stealing a dagger. The, realizing that he indeed was a thief, and that he was in a tenuous position, chose to explain, briefly. “My grandfather was an important man, and befitting a man with his stature would be great equipment.”

He could tell that the Doctor wanted to know more, but he just stared at Dr. Sherral. Giving a nod, Dr. Sherrall didn’t inquire anymore. “Now, I implore you to eat to your heart’s desire. You must be hungry.”

“Unimaginably” Richard managed before digging in to the rich, luxurious feast laid down in front of him. It was undoubtedly the best array of food he had ever eaten. Dinner had a polite, mannered atmosphere. Richard tried to glean more information for the Doctor, but he learned that he would have better luck getting information from a mute hermit.