Chapter 10

"Isabelle I know you're not going to marry a man who literally just hurt you." My dad's disappointment in me was clear for everyone to hear.

"Why would he do that if he loved you?" My best friend Andrea ask.

"I'm sorry I need to have a talk with my family alone.  I'll call you tomorrow okay." We all watch her leave the room and shut the door.

"She's a lawyer and she's asking why he would hurt you if he loves you. Does she not get he doesn't love you and why didn't she leave when your brother ask everyone to leave?"

My Mum was right James never loved me I was the one who ran after him. He never did any chasing and I was too blind to see it.

"Dad I'll explain everything but first you all need to see this." 

I show them the article on my phone about me that mysteriously appeared after I quarrelled with James. "If I didn't know any better I would say this was a plant. He already gave the story to someone and gave them permission to print it."

Bianca was right, "That son of a b.."

"So he was going to marry you, hit you and sell stories about you and us. I don't get it he's a son of a billionaire he doesn't need the cash." Noah look like he was ready to inflict serious damage on James.

"Having me on his arm would be good for his ego." I answer.

Now I know why he didn't call me or see me for some time after the war was over. He didn't care about me at all.

Jay helps himself to some food and starts to eat it. As he eats he starts to cackle. "What's going on big brother you're scaring me?"

"When James told his father he wanted to marry you. His father ask me to make his younger son his heir. I told Theo to wait we didn't even know if there would really be an announcement. He insisted I change the rules to make his younger son his heir anyway. So I did several months ago. The thing is James doesn't know and his father clearly hasn't told him yet."

"Do you think his father is scared of him? I mean why else would his grandfather still be carrying the Crown Jewels into parliament at his age?"

We all thought about my little brothers Noah's words.

"I don't know son but I didn't expect your sister to fall in love with him. I thought it would be a fling nothing else,"  answers my father.

Before I was kidnapped I was bored of the relationship. If I'm being honest I never really thought about him in captivity. I thought about Freddie a couple of times. What could've been but I never thought about my boyfriend.

"I'm glad you never pushed me and him together mum I never once thought about him while I was held captive. Apart from couple days ago when he suggested I go to counselling. He has never asked about my time in that cell."

Mum wipes a tear away, "It's been seven months love since you have been freed. His own family constantly ask about your well being but he didn't ask you how you're feeling?"

"Not once mum till last week."

"I'm curious did he have the name of someone he thought you may like to see?"

"He did dad I took the details but I wasn't going to go. You and I both know I wasn't going to speak to someone that can go to the press."

"Give me their details and I'll look into it for you." 

I smile at Freddie he was a big softie. Don't get me wrong at six foot three. He was very tall and with his piercing green eyes and black hair. He was a heartbreaker but he was such a nice guy.

"Wait a second isn't that your friends bag."  I was perplexed why would she leave her bag behind. When she left with a bag hanging from her arm.

"Yes mum I'll give it to her tomorrow."

"It's a bit squash I've been sitting on it for a while."

"Mum she won't mind."

I see a look pass between the men in my family then Jay takes the bag and put it outside the door.

"Let's celebrate my sister's engagement everyone. I text the doctor to come and see to your bruises. He's just text to say he will be down in fifteen minutes."

Everyone goes in the direction of the dining room. "Can I have a private word Izzy.?" Ask  Freddie.

I stay behind, "I like that you call me Izzy like my family does. You haven't said much tonight. Have you change your mind about marrying me?"

"Your toe rag of a ex has caused you literal pain. What was I going to do take my chances with you and ignore you are hurting. You needed to talk and figure out he's no good for yourself. My talking about me and you wasn't a topic to bring up."  He put a strand of hair behind my ears and my breath hitches. Did he always affect me like this?

"In answer to your question I should be asking you if you're sure about everything."