Chapter 6 - The Night

Kalindi was taken to the Queen's chamber and she was given new saree and jewels to change into. Kalindi had an idea about what it was about but still looked at her mother for clarification.  Queen Mathura smiled and said, "Today is going to be your wedding night. So you change into this dress. You can rest now as it is only evening and later at night, you will be sent to your chamber where Yuvraj Abhyuday is residing now".  Kalindi nodded at her and then the Queen left.

-----------------------------------------------------------

After the Queen left, Kalindi simply sat on the bed while Rekha and Lekha were moving the hand held fan to give some air for Kalindi.  Kalindi felt relaxed and said, "The herbs worked very well Rekha. Usually I use flowers only but this herbal leaves have different use than the conventional ones. You just had to put one leaf in the fire which is ignited at the night for scented fragrance. And within one night of inhaling the burnt leaf, she has this effect. I'm impressed".  Lekha asked, "Princess! When will you cure her?".  Kalindi smiled and said, "You know very well that when I bring in new flowers or make concoctions of my own, I never create a cure for them. Even when I test it on some animals, I will check how long it holds on. Sometimes it turns out that the effect is not deadly or permanent but just temporary. Likewise in this case, Rekha had already mentioned that this herb has a long term effect but it's not permanent.  So let's see how long term it is. And seems like your memory power is decreasing. Weren't you there in the garden when Rekha was telling us?".  Lekha smiled being embarrassed and didn't reply anything.

Then Rekha continued while Kalindi was removing her jewellery, "Princess, I heard from Lekha what happened in the corridor yesterday.  And you have punished Princess Uttara for that. But previously you mentioned that you wouldn't mind if Yuvraj Abhyuday took a second wife or more.  Then what changed you to punish her harshly?".  Kalindi just laughed at her and said, "So you people are thinking that I punished her for thinking of stealing my husband? Definitely not.  If she had stopped  her blabbering at that point, then I wouldn't have done anything.  But she crossed her limit when she threatened my existence.  I didn't like it so I just did what I thought, would teach her a valuable lesson.  But seems like she needs more time to learn the lesson".  She just shrugged her shoulders and then chatted with them for some more time. Kalindi laid on the  bed for taking a nap in the evening and before going to sleep, she spelled out 'Husband', which she used for the first time today and didn't even realise it.   Kalindi woke up afresh after the much needed sleep and started to wear the dress and jewellery which her mother gave her for the night.

Everyone had their dinner while King Udayan tried to change the gloomy atmosphere as they are the hosts and also his daughter's in-laws should not get affected by their problems. And food was sent for Kalindi and also Uttara and her mother to their chambers.  At night, Queen Mathura entered her chamber where Kalindi was sitting with the light weight jewellery that she gave and the twin maids were keeping her entertained.  The maids went out leaving the mother and daughter to their privacy.  Mathura smiled at her daughter and said, "You have grown up so fast.  I have always been strict towards you. But don't ever think that I didn't love you or care for you, ok? As you have always known, I didn't give birth to you but it didn't matter after some point".  The one who entered the chamber was the Queen of Hridaypura but the one who is talking to Kalindi is a mother, her mother.  And the tears that slowly flowed down from Mathura's eyes were the evidence of that. Kalindi smiled sadly at her mother, who had always been tough and never showed her pain to anyone including the King.  That mother has just showed her vulnerability infront of her. Kalindi wiped the tears of her mother and gave a small smile as a reassurance.  Mathura continued, "Leaving all this aside, you are now going to start your marital life. And in the royal families, a heir gives you an anchor to hold your position above anyone else who will become the future wives of your husband. This wedding night will play a significant role in deciding your destiny".