9 |

𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖊𝖓𝖘, 𝖛𝖔𝖑𝖊𝖓𝖘.

•••

“I take it that Eduan already knows about me being Lady Arlene’s— no, the Grace Family’s contractual slave, am I wrong?”

V squeezed the spearbearer’s tightening fists with his own assuringly, accompanied by a gentle gaze as if coaxing a temperamental child. “I know that other regions including Eduan’s principality had begun slowly abolishing the slavery system, but it wasn’t always so bad.”

The latter restrained himself from reacting, but to be perfectly honest, V, however much Eduan likes him, is not exactly the brightest person to confront to when it comes to forming a logical perspective on things. I mean, just look at him— finding and focusing on the positive aspects of something as morally degrading as slavery. Burying away those thoughts beneath his subconscious, the spearbearer listened intently.

“Grand Duke Grace, Lady Arlene’s grandfather, rescued my surviving siblings and I from a crime syndicate’s trafficking ring as we were about to cross the capitol’s border to become test subjects. His Excellency exuded sophistication and magnanimity, someone who treated his subjects without prejudice and bias regardless of social class, but was ruthless to those who was set to face due punishment— some of the many reasons why the majority (if not all) of the South became a devout follower of the Grace Family.” V released Eduan’s palms and lifted his own, streaks of purplish-blue light flowing ribbon-like until its tips formed miniature figurines that mimicked the redeeming features of the prominent people in the former’s life, moving along his will as he reiterated his story. “Of course, His Excellency had his personal favorites which were a handful; including the eldest and the Dukedom’s heir apparent, the Young Lord, and his prized granddaughter, Young Lady Arlene Grace.”

Two of the characters were set aside as figurines bearing hair of chestnut brown were introduced, one significantly smaller than the other which seem to symbolize V himself. “I first met Lady Arlene when my brother— well, sworn brother, and I first crossed paths with her after she had escaped her guards while doing our errands at the red-light district where the most confidential transactions occur. The Little Miss of course, because of her sheltered life, was poorly disguised, so she attracted many who thought they could sell her for a hefty price.

“What a dumb child,” the bluenet scoffed at the figurine, perhaps a little louder than he had originally intended.

“Hey, rude!”

Eduan shrugged, not even trying to look the least bit apologetic about the insult he threw as he rolled his eyes in pure criticism. “I’m just saying. Arlene Grace is a pure-blooded aristocrat. She cannot conceal that by merely wearing lesser quality, but still obnoxiously expensive articles of clothing. Whoever thought of that disguise should have had their wages cut off.”

Anyway,” V huffed fondly before continuing, lips pursed into a defeated pout. “By some kind of miracle, Brother and I somehow managed to fend off her pursuers and bring the young lady back to the estate all in one piece.”

“Let me guess, that damned old man—” the former drew in a sharp breath as he made the figurine dissolve before their eyes in spite. “The Grand Duke, thought it was a genius idea to immediately make victims of human trafficking as his grandchildren’s personal slaves. That does not actually make one feel any better. You know that, right?”