Chapter 6

It's twilight as we arrive to "the field," which is literally just a huge clearing in the woods by the outskirts of town. Cars have already started parking in a circle with their headlights on to create some visibility. Kegs are being rolled in and music is blaring.

Jock 2 from study hall sees me walk over. "Cora Clarkson?? Do my eyes deceive me?"

"Ha ha very funny," I say, rolling my eyes.

He snakes his arm around me and offers me a drink. Gabe is by my side in seconds.

"No thanks, she's not interested in roofies tonight, douche," And he hands the red cup back to Jock 2 and takes his hand off my back.

"Ew," Gabe says. "I hope he wasn't your admirer." We share a laugh, as we head toward the growing bonfire.

We find a log to sit on by the bonfire and all grab a beer, except for Gavin of course.

We are all talking and laughing, reminiscing about old times in junior high, when Misha abruptly states, "I gotta pee. C'mon Cora," and grabs my arm.

Gabe gets up too.

"Oh no, no, no. I realize you're her bodyguard for the night, but you're not coming to watch us pee next to a tree. I'll take good care of her, Gabe." Misha pats him on the head, and he watches us disapprovingly as we disappear into the forest.

"Oh I've gotta go so bad!" Misha says as we pop a squat. I'm glad we're here because two beers are all it takes to fill my bladder too, and dang my pee is like the longest of all time. Getting impatient with my never-ending pee, Misha says, "Hey, I'm going to get us refills...meet me at the bonfire!" And with that, she runs off.

"Wait!" I scream, but she's already gone. Geez, I finally finished peeing.

I rearrange my dress and smooth out my hair, thinking how nasty peeing in the wilderness is, when a familiar deep, gravelly voice is behind me.

"I knew I'd find you."

I whip around, scared, then excited when I realize who it is.

"Jett? Wait, were you watching me um..."

"Pee?" He says, teasing me. "Ha ha, no...but I figured that's what you and Misha were doing."

He smells good. And he's close but in the dark, I can barely see him.

"Come closer, I can't see you!" I put my hands out in the dark, and he pulls me to his body.

"I'm right here."

I gasp and look up at him. I shouldn't be here.

"Hi," I say weakly.

"Hi," he says and he flashes his bright white smile.

"So, what, um, were you doing in the forest?"

"Looking for you."

"Why? Did you know I was coming tonight?"

"Yes, I texted you."

HE is the admirer.

"How, how did you even get my number?"

"I have my sources..."

I'm going to kill Misha.

"You look beautiful tonight, Clarkson."

My heart is racing. Stop it! I look up at him again, and I realize being this close I can feel him pressed against my stomach. Realizing where the pressure is coming from, I look up at him in shock.

He grins, "You do things to me."

"Jett Sanders!!" I push him away and stomp off, thankful for combat boots instead of heels or sandals in this forest.

"Come back, baby, I was just telling the truth!"

I'm running, but can't see a damn thing. He's catching up with me, when I feel him brush right behind me. He's close.

"Go away!"

"No."

He's behind me and wraps his arms around me, sending all the hairs on my body on end.

"This isn't how I wanted tonight to go," he whispers in my ear.

"Oh I'm sure you had plans," I said, still angry.

"I did, but not what you think. I want to get to know you. I want inside your brain. You are the most intriguing girl I've ever met. I just want to be close to you." He turns me around to look at him. "Will you let me in?"

He leans down to gently brush his lips on mine, and I'm on fire. Before I can say anything, he's gone.

"Cora? Cora!!" Gabe runs over and grabs me by the shoulders. "Where have you been??"

"Um, Misha and I were peeing and then, she ran off, and..."

"Oh my gosh, I should have known not to leave you alone with her. What a flake. Come on, let's go back to the bonfire."

As Gabe escorts me back to the party, I touch my fingers to my lips, not totally believing what just happened. Jett Sanders just kissed me, and I didn't flinch or back away...in fact, if I was being honest with myself, I wanted more.