7. Plans of the Unwise

"It's only a matter of time," Peter said as soon as everyone was gathered.

Zoelle had taken off the cloak she had stolen from Prunaprismia, leaving her looking far more casual with a light blue corset top with wide sleeves and a pair of dark fitted woollen pants. She had kept the dark boots from her days as a servant, but she had abandoned the rest of her clothing at the castle. Over the outfit, she wore a grey gilet which fell from her shoulders down almost to her feet. Her long, curly hair fell down her back almost to her waist which, in conjunction with her dark, steady eyes, gave her a regal appearance fitting to her standing.

"Miraz's men and his war machines are on their way," Peter resumed. "That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

"What do you propose we do, your majesty?" Reep asked.

"We need to get ready for it," Caspian began as Peter said, "To start planning for-"

Both glanced at each other. The momentary battle of wills was quickly over as Caspian stepped back, surrendering to Peter.

"Our only hope is the strike them before they strike us," Peter said.

"That is crazy. No one has ever taken their castle," Caspian retorted.

"There's always a first time," Peter countered.

"We'd have the element of surprise," Trumpkin said.

"But we have the advantage here," Caspian said.

Clearing her throat, Zoelle took a step forward, causing everyone to silence and look at her.

"Look," she said finally. Although she was keeping her eyes trained on the ground, her voice was so soothingly authoritative that she did not have to speak loudly to command their attention. "I've seen the castle. Personally, I wouldn't have dared it even with thousands of soldiers at my disposal. If we are to win this war, we cannot hope to do so with suicide missions. We will lose far more than we gain, even if we succeed. We do not have the numbers to maintain such a position. A move like that would require us to strongarm the Telmarines into submission. They have at least a hundred times the number of soldiers we do, not to mention the soldiers that would come to reclaim their castle if we did succeed. It would be folly to attempt such a venture now."

"I, for one, feel safer underground," the badger Trufflehunter said as Peter glared slightly at Zoelle in irritation.

Turning to both Caspian and Zoelle, Peter said, "Look, I appreciate what you've both done, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes, and if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out," Edmund said.

"We could collect nuts," a squirrel said excitedly.

"Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines!" Reep said sarcastically. "Shut up." Turning to Peter, he said, "I think you know where I stand, sire."

Turning to Glenstorm, Peter asked, "If I get your tropes in, can you handle the guards?"

"Or die trying, my leige," the great centaur replied with a great bow of his head.

"That's what I'm worried about," Lucy said.

Everyone turned to look at her.

"Sorry?" Peter said.

"You're all acting like there's only two options: dying here or dying there," she explained with a small shrug.

"I'm not sure you've been listening, Lu," Peter said irritably.

"No, you're not listening," Lucy retorted. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough," Peter snapped.

"Do you even hear yourself?" Zoelle exclaimed, her brows furrowed. Peter turned in surprise at hearing her voice as she stepped forward, staring at him incredulously. "When Mother spoke of you, she told me of a man with unwavering faith, faith in his country, his people, but above all in Aslan. Where is that man now? Because I don't see him. I guess all it took for you to waver was someone else challenging your authority."

Several gasps sounded from the crowd, but although Edmund, Susan, and Lucy were stung by what had been said about their brother, none of them could deny the truth of it, so they said nothing. Peter was staring at her with a stony expression. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath, waiting to see what he would do.

After a long silence, he turned and said, "We attack tomorrow."

Zoelle stayed standing exactly where she was as everyone trickled out of the room. When it had completely emptied, she looked up at the carving of Aslan with tears in her eyes.

"Protect us, Aslan," she whispered. "Please. Don't let more be killed because of me."

Then a curious thing happened. Although Zoelle had felt rather cold before, rather as though all the blood had drained from her face, a warm, hot breath hit her face, calming her heart and filling her with a strange warmth. She smiled slightly before wiping away her tears and looking up at the lion. A surge of strength seemed to have risen up within her, and all fear dissipated into nothing.

"Thank you, Aslan," she whispered.

Grabbing her cloak, she disappeared from the room.

⥖✦☽☾✦⥗

It took several hours before a plan was decided on, but once it had, everyone retired to their bedrolls and went to sleep. But Zoelle couldn't sleep. Instead, she sat outside, staring up at the stars with a thoughtful expression on her face. She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she did not even notice the footsteps that approached her from behind.

"I know you still don't approve," Edmund said, taking a seat beside her.

Zoelle did not shift her gaze.

"No," she admitted simply. "He's sending us all into a death trap."

"And yet you're still going?" Edmund asked.

"I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't," Zoelle replied in a distant voice.

Edmund hesitated a moment before he said, "It wasn't your fault, you know, that the Telmarines invaded."

"It was my job to protect my people and I failed," Zoelle retorted, turning to look at him for the first time. "How is it not my fault?"

Edmund searched for something to say for a long time, but before he had come up with anything, Zoelle had gotten to her feet and disappeared.