o n e

•••

•••

-•-
OZAI POV - THIRD PERSON

"Look at my fire! I made it bigger!" A five year old Azula shouted with glee, her eyes held pride.

Her father, Prince Ozai, barely contained his scowl. His youngest daughter was the biggest disappointment ever.

At this age she should be able to produce fire way bigger than that pity flame. Her older sister had been able to make her own hand ablaze at the age of three! And yet Azula barely made any light.

It was frustrating to say the least.

"Father!"

Suddenly, all ill thoughts flew out of the Prince's mind at the sound of his eldest daughters voice.

"Hello, little Dragon." Ozai smiled, as he looked at his pride and joy.

Princess Zuli was what someone would describe as perfect, she was the perfect heir, daughter, and friend.

Zuli smiled up at her father, "Look at what I've been practicing!"

Before he could even comprehend what was happening, his daughter lit herself on fire. No, seriously. She literally lit herself on fire.

Ozai started at her in utter shock. He has never seen anything like this before.

"Great dragon of fire..." The Prince muttered in shock.

The oldest princess grinned in happiness at the look on her father's face.

Neither noticed the glaring Azula in the background.

-•-
THIRD PERSON POV

Princess Azula of the Fire Nation watched in envy as her older sister impressed their father once again.

It boils her blood just thinking about her stupidly perfect sister.

Unlike Zuli, Azula had never been given the looks of affection and love her father would give her sister. If anything, he barely knew she existed.

And while Zuli was a natural prodigy at firebending, Azula had to work hard to get the smallest of flames.

And she hated it.

Why in fires name did she have to be the weak one?

Why did she have to suffer the loneliness of being different?

However, Azula guessed she wasn't totally alone. She had her mother, Princess Ursa, and her Uncle Iroh. And she guess she had Ty-Lee, but deep down she knew she craved more, she desperately craved the love of her father.

It was ironic since she knew she would never get it at all. But she still tried, she trained hard, and pushed herself to the limits. Just so she could earn even the smallest looks of approval, but they never came.

It irked her to her very soul, that perfect little Zuli could just smile, and her father would look at her as if she won the war.

Azula doesn't think she can ever understand why her life is like this. And maybe in a different universe, she was in Zuli's place, and her lowlife of a sister was where she was.

The young princess could only hope.

So, with one last withering glare, Azula walked away from the father daughter duo, promising she would rise above her sister if it was the last thing she ever did.

•••

A/N:  Hello everyone! So, this is the first chapter of 'Ruler'. I hope you enjoyed it.

And as you can see Azula is bitter, but what's new?

Don't forget to comment and vote!