Chapter One

January 1913

The ladies were met at the train by the chauffeur of the Russian royal family. He ported them to the Winter Palace that morning. When they arrived, having gone through the servants entrance, they were led to the hall where they were to meet Alix. There she was overseeing the portrait taking of Olga and Tatiana in their court gowns.

When Sybille saw Tatiana for the first time, she was mesmerized. Her heart skipped a beat, and she lost her breath. Never had she seen a woman so beautiful in all the world. She didn't even realize that Alix was speaking to them.

"Mrs. Smith?" Alix tried to get her attention. She turned to see what Sybille was looking at. "Yes, my Tatiana is beautiful. She carries with her the beauty of all the English women in history. Never have I seen someone look more English than Tatiana with her dark hair and blue eyes."

"Yes, beautiful." Sybille cleared her throat and looked away. "Forgive me for staring."

"There is nothing to forgive. Now, I wanted to introduce you to the older girls before you meet the younger children. George said that you, Francine, would teach history and mathematics. Minerva would teach English and geography, and Cordelia would teach music and languages. Is that correct?"

"Yes, we specialize in those courses."

"Understandable." The photographer came over and told Alix he was done. The royal daughters walked towards their mother. "I would like to introduce you to the new Governesses for the Small Pair and Alexei." Alix motioned to Sybille, Lisette, and Tess in turn and the ladies curtsied as she did. "Francine Smith, Cordelia Smith, and Minerva Roberts."

"Are you sisters?" Olga sked Sybille and Lisette.

"Sisters-in-law, Your Imperial Highness." Lisette explained. "Francine is my brother's widow, and Minerva is her sister."

"Oh, I am sorry to hear of the death of your husband. Was it recent?"

"A year ago." Sybille lied.

"And already out of mourning, how strange." Alix commented. "Well, to each their own." A cacophony of running feet came from behind them, and the ladies turned to see the younger siblings running towards them. "Ah, here are my other children. This is Maria, Anastasia, and Alexei." She pointed to each after they hugged her. "These are your new Governesses. Mrs. Smith, Miss Smith, and Miss Roberts. Be sure to treat them with kindness." A maid who had been standing nearby was called over. "Please have the housekeeper see these ladies to their rooms."

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty."

The ladies and the maid curtsied to the Empress, and they followed her out. The housekeeper was an older woman named Mrs. Pavlovsky. She wandered through the Palace taking the ladies to the servants' quarters and to their room. Tess, Sybille, and Lisette were to share one room.

When Mrs. Pavlovsky left, Lisette and Tess sat down on their beds testing them out. The ladies luggage had been brought in earlier, and Sybille began putting her clothes away in one of the two dressers. They hadn't brought much; a few dresses to be hung in the closet, underclothes, and nightdresses. As she went, Sybille thought of nothing else except Tatiana.

Tess came over to help Sybille. "I saw you looking at Tatiana." She nudged her friend. "Someone is smitten."

Syb blushed. "I am beyond smitten; I finally understand what Duke meant about falling in love at first sight."

Lisette, who had been refolding her underclothes, stopped, and turned to her mother. "You are already in love with her?"

"I believe so, yes." Sybille crossed the room to her daughter, taking her hand. "Does that bother you?"