Chapter 25 - Malice

Jin Ling slowly woke up after a while. Putting his hand to his neck, some pain could still be felt. He was so angry that he jumped up and unsheathed his sword at once, "How dare you hit me! My uncle hadn't even hit me before!"

"Such an angry little thing." Wei Wuxian joked fondly. "Your uncle better not have hit you!"

Jiang Cheng humphed and didn't say anything. Of course never hit his only nephew, he wasn't like his mother, whipping disciples with Zidian for every tiny mistake. 

Wei WuXian exclaimed, "Really? Doesn't he say that he'll break your legs all the time?"

 Jin Ling fumed, "He's only saying that! You damn cut-sleeve, what on Earth do you want? I..." Wei WuXian covered his face and shouted toward behind Jin Ling, "Ah! HanGuang-Jun!" Jin Ling was more scared of Lan WangJi than he was of his uncle. 

"..." Jiang Cheng's face went dark. In his mind, the more scared you were of someone, the more respect you had for them, so he felt greatly wounded. He resisted the petty urge to scowl at Lan Wangji, who's cold face was utterly impassive as usual, with no sign of pleasure or surprise. 

Wei Wuxian, on the other hand, was laughing without restraint, seemingly on his husband's behalf. It was pretty ridiculous that someone would be less scared of the aggressive and rage-filled Jiang Cheng than the calm and honourable Lan Wangji. What was Lan Zhan gonna do, yell at him?? Punish him??

After all, his uncle was from his own clan, but HanGuang-Jun was from someone else's. Frightened, he fled at once, shouting as he ran, "You damn cutsleeve! Disgusting maniac! I'll remember you! This is not over yet!"

The cultivators laughed at how quickly Jin Ling ran off, without even bothering to check whether Hanguang Jun was really there, all while still attempting to maintain hostility to Wei Wuxian. 

Jin Ling's face was red, seeing how foolish he looked in front of everyone. He snuck a glance at Wei Wuxian to make sure he wasn't upset at him for saying such rude things, but Senior Wei was still laughing, cuddled up so close to Hanguang Jun that they were practically on top of one another. He shuddered and looked away quickly.

Behind him, Wei WuXian laughed so hard that he couldn't breathe. After Jin Ling disappeared into the distance, his chest itched in a stuffy way, and finally managed to stop the laughter after a while of coughing.

 Only then, did he have time to think. 

The scenery of the forest faded away, to another scene with a very young Wei Wuxian huddled in an alley in Yunmeng, though this time there were no dogs. 

"Oh, it's tiny Senior Wei again!" Zizhen said brightly. "I think he looks a bit older here, though."

Wei Wuxian frowned. These were his personal memories - why did the entire cultivation world have to see him like that, small and vulnerable - he was basically a nobody back then. 

Wei WuXian was taken home by Jiang FengMian when he was nine. Most memories from back then were already blurred. Yet, Jin Ling's mother, Jiang YanLi, remembered all of them, and even told him quite a few. She said that, after his father heard of the news that his parents both died in battle, he had always dedicated himself to finding the child that these past friends had left behind. After searching for a while, he finally found the child in Yiling.

Jin Ling felt like someone had slapped him. He was always trying to seek revenge for the deaths of his parents, but Senior Wei's parents had both died too - and Senior Wei had probably been older than he was when his parents were killed. But Senior Wei never went out to find who exactly had been responsible for his parents' deaths. Looking at the kind of person Jiang Fengmian was, perhaps Senior Wei had just been raised to more forgiving principles.