3| The Attempt

"Make way! Make way for Lady Fawntonya! Make way, make way!" A young girls escort called out her status to clear the road. The most embarrasing thing for the girl was that she was Fawntonya, the only child born to Lord Kiton, and she didn't have a horse. For someone new to the village, like Lavalda, this would mean that she had done something very displeasing, and that she was an embarrassment to her family, but that was not the case. Fawntonya had the Reanna, and the gift that she was given, by the most powerful life source were dragon wings, but Lavalda didn't pay attention to that. instead he was staring at the cuts and welts on his wrists where the rope that bound him was digging in. The rope started to tug, so he followed the pull, not looking up at the face he knew would be there. Ardon said that they would be leaving the city, and to get the packs that he was assigned to carry. Lavalda sighed, wandering back to where he had laid his assigned packs,  holding his breath while someone picked them up, trying not to smell the delicious aromas that were protruding from the flap as the food pack was tied a little bit too snug on his wounded back. 

"Thanks." he muttered to his fellow slave that patted his shoulder to indicate that the pack was secured.

"I'm sorry." Lavalda heard him reply. he turned with a questioning look, why would anyone here care about me? The boy he saw didn't look much older then himself, but he definitely looked better fed then himself.

"I'm sorry that they're torturing you. You know. Not feeding you anything but scraps that you share with the dogs. Making you carry the food basket. Putting stones in the bottom so that they are heavier on your back. Tying you to a tree at night. It must hurt."

Lavalda shrugged in response.

"Would you like a friend?" The boy asked. Lavalda shrugged again.

"My name is Uvanimauracocomacionaralyvion." He grinned when he saw Lavalda's raised eyebrows.

"Uh, could you repeat that?" Lavalda inquired.

"Uvanimauracocomacionaralyvion. You can call me Uvanimauraco for short if you want, or just Uvan." He laughed, but it only lasted for a moment; and then he grew somber again. "And you're Lavalda, sold by your own father, it's the talk of the camp."

"Yeah. I guess no one likes me anymore." Lavalda sarcastically muttered.

"Except your uncle."

"What?"

"I was there when Ardon took you. I heard what your uncle said."

"I don't think he will really do it. I don't think that he will really come."

"Once again, I'm sorry." 

"It's okay, I think I'm getting used to it." Lavalda smiled.

"Lavalda! Get over here boy!!" Ardon bellowed. The smile vanished, and Lavalda stumbled to his master.

"Alright kid, up front where I can see you."

Luckily for Lavalda, they happened to be very close to the city gate, so the walk was not long. They found a suitable place to set up their camp and began setting up. Lavalda went to the cook to have his pack removed and found himself looking for his new friend, Uvan. Uvan was just entering the campsite, leading a visitor to Ardon, who had not noticed him yet. Lavalda examined him, feeling like he knew the man, but not knowing exactly where. Had he seen that man, with the hood of his cloak covering his downcast face? He looked strangely familiar.

"Lavalda, take this food to your master." the cook said while placing a tray in his hands. Lavalda turned towards Ardon and started walking toward him. He had almost reached Ardon when Uvan called his name. Lavalda turned to see Uvan motioning to the man, who had lifted his head and was mouthing his name. It was Alvako. Lavalda dropped the tray, and all of a sudden there was food all over him, and everyone around him; including Ardon. Ardon's voice broke Lavalda's trance with fury.