Lasting last times

The birds who had the habit of waking up early lay asleep in their nests. They matched the four members of the Pillai family who slept soundly. Their bodies finally gave into slumber after all the restlessness. Everyone slept at a different hour.

The first to fall asleep was Kritika. When her slumber beckoned her, Amma lay awake, patting her tenderly on her forehead. When Amma gave in to sleep, Appa woke up to see if both his daughters were sleeping well. And when sleep finally embraced him, Devi woke up. Their connection was unspoken but felt strongly by everyone, even the birds.

******

Devika Pillai

I woke up with a jerk with the sensation of Akka's hand on mine. When I open my eyes I almost weep with relief to see her sleeping next to me. It had been a bad dream with Akka being kidnapped and taken to Andaman and Nicobar....

Anyways the reality is too sweet to spoil with its memories.

Wait a minute!! What! When I see Akka's leg on mine I almost laugh out loud. So then one who has scolded me for clinging to her while sleeping all her life is sleeping with her legs on mine today! Finally, you've answered my prayers, God.

I quickly take my phone out and click a selfie, with my tongue out, teasing Akka for her aerobic position. Finally some proof to remind her that she is a human too and even the queen of graceful sleep postures erred Today!

Today!

It dawns on me that it's the morning of her wedding. My shoulders slump down as I realise that this is the last time I'll sleep next to her. With no mood to get up, I fall on the bed, cuddling Akka. She stirs in her sleep, drawing me close. And just when she does so, the most bizarre alarm ringtone on the earth blares from her phone.

Amma and Appa wake up, laughing hysterically.

"This ringtone....oh this ringtone..."

None of them is able to say that they're going to miss it so I take the opportunity of adding on their behalf,

"Yeah Akka we hate it so much that of all the things about you, this is what we're going to miss the least." That makes Akka grin a weird grin. A minute later when the same ringtone goes off from my phone, I look at her, surprised.

"No, you didn't.... YOU DID NOT INSTALL THAT WEIRD RINGTONE IN MY PHONE."

With a shrug, Akka tries to get up but I pull her down on the bed, throwing a pillow on her.

Between us jumping on the beds and throwing pillows at each other, I catch Amma taking a step closer, probably to ask us to quit fighting and brush our teeth. But before she has a chance to do so, Appa tells her, "Let them be."

And when your father who hates things like dirtying beds says that you know for sure that your sister is getting married.

******

Amma, Akka and I, we're inseparable as we each get ready. We pass pins, exchange jewellery, help with hair and shower silent compliments with eyes. Well at least they do so silently. I am much vocal about it.

"I hope Appa has his stethoscope ready. Because Rutu is going to have a heart attack." I say with a smirk.

"And so is Raj." Akka smirks back.

Unable to hide my blush I poke Amma with my fingers.

"Amma, look, your elder daughter has become so naughty. Instead of focusing on her wedding she's teasing me."

"But she's not wrong Devi. Raj is going to have a heart attack when he sees you wearing this purple and gold lehenga."

"Amma you too!! I get it everyone is team Bride today, fine. But don't forget that it's me you're going to have to live with, okay."

I give Amma a stern glare. She just laughs. I'm so glad to see her happy.

"And you're both wrong by the way, the first thing Raj is going to do is tease me since these are Kolkata's colours." I whisper fondly.

Raj was going to wear a gold suit. We had ended up matching unintentionally. The thought of seeing him makes the hair on my arm rise.

"Hhhmmmm-mmmm, ohhoo ohho look at little Devi blushing."

"Hahaha. Moms and sisters can be so annoying." I mutter while passing Akka's make up box to her.

******

All those from our side of the family are on the terrace, waiting to spot my brother in law's baarat.

Finally, we see it. Holding Shalimar's reigns in his hands, is Rutu. His face is hidden by the lovely, flowery, sehra and the rest of them are wearing a mask to hide their identity. Without any drums they dance randomly. Oh the precautions you've got to take when you're famous.

I try guessing who is who with Akka.

"The slimest and tallest is obviously Sai." Akka states.

"Yes. And the one with the best hair is obviously Jaddu."

"Correct. The one who's dancing in the most calm manner is obviously Thala."

"Yep. And the one whose muscles are visible despite his kurta is definitely Raj."

"Ahhaaha, yes. The one with the fairest skin is obviously Faf."

"And the one with the blondest hair is obviously Sam."

We give each other a high five and get ready to take the bridal procession down.

Amma gets ready to welcome Rutu at the door. Before he can enter, Jaddu, Faf and Sai apologise to her and rush to reach us. When I raise my eyebrows at them, they answer in unison,

"We're from the bride's side too!!"

And with them behind her, Akka begins descending the ancestral staircase.