I told you so

“Okay, so now I have kind of destroyed all religious thinking on this planet for two thousand years, potentially gaining up to three or four billion enemies in the process. I think it’s time that I bring your attention back to more recent events,” Vulcan stood up a little straighter and eyed the crowd. His story had their full attention.

Some people were more approving of his tale than others. Oddly enough the more disapproving sections of the UN tended to be sporting religious iconography.

“What is actually happening in Sar city,” Vulcan sighed, “is basically a bad nightmare for me, the enemy is just as ruthless as the Malus and his force may seem small at the moment, but it will grow while your own host shrinks. His forces are stronger and more resilient; they know your tactics, tricks and everything from weapons for camp layouts. Something you humans seem to be very fond of.”

“Not only this, but the Director is a man who wants to know everything about everyone. Not only that but he has access to not only the internet, but a world renowned and feared intelligence agency. He will know your strength, where you are strong and where you are not. You must act quickly otherwise he will neutralise your power before you come for him. His conquest of Sar city was ruthless and although we beat him in battle before reinforcements arrived, his second push was more than brutal. Our forces right now hang by a thread which is made up of four people.”

Vulcan paused for a moment, the room was obviously confused by his last comment, four people would make little difference in a conflict deciding the fate of a large city.

“These four people are what remainins of the Heirs aside from myself, Bolt, Tornado, Ripple and Shade. Although we are full blooded Elementals it is us five against a host numbering in the thousands. Recently I have noticed traces of resilience closer to Malus than Heir and this worries me. The Director is not content with an army of super soldiers; each generation is more advanced and more lethal than its predecessors. Before long it may be that we will be unable to stand against them, united or not. This is why I am pleading before you. The refugee’s need housing true, but there needs to be a world left to put them in,”

The American Vice President leaned forward, his words cut into Vulcan’s speech like a knife, “why should we worry about the Director and his forces, they number in the hundreds, thousands maybe. How can they contend with six billion people?”

“In your history, Spartacus defeated the Roman’s while outnumbered, because he knew their tactics. He knew their ways better than most. Well the Director knows your ways better than you do, it’s been his job for who knows how long. Besides, out of those six billion, how many are trained with a modern weapon? Then out of how many of them are battle ready? How many are equipped and prepared to fight? The numbers may surprise you, my estimates would be less than four million men and women. While that in itself is a huge number, they need to be together. Piecmean, they’ll be slaughtered, because at the very least, the Directors army, the “Ultimates” are worth ten, maybe even twenty other men. Why? Because they lack empathy, they follow orders, they fight through pain and they can withstand punishment that makes them almost comparitable to a battle tank. That is why you must act,”

Suddenly a man ran into the room, he was waving some sort of tablet device in his hands.

“He’s broadcasting, the Director is Broadcasting via the internet from two blocks away!”

Everyone panicked in the room. Guards immediately drew concealed firearms and lurched into the hallways, scanning every corner they could find for anything that could prove a threat.

“Call the national guard!” The Vice President of America called into his cell phone, “I want this whole area locked down!”

Falcon stood up from his seat and called over the rucus in the room, “someone get this broadcast up on the big screen!” everyone stopped panicking and comically stared at the former police captain, “come on, we have to find out what he’s saying!”

The broadcast was not hard for the techs to find, it had been uploaded nearby, but someone, possibly in Japan or even France had changed it to become viral. It opened up on random web pages with large amounts of traffic, evidently, the man who had found it had not been working.

Very soon a large screen had been revealed on the back wall, everyone in the room could see it clearly and speakers came to life throughout the room, a sound so quite that only Bolt could have picked it up.

The video was loaded up instantly and placed on screen, the Director’s face sneering.

“This message has only been transmitted because you are already too late gentlemen. You see, while you’ve been busy trying to plant those refuge’s, much to my old friend Vulcan’s dismay, I have been undermining your strength.”

The Directors face faded from view, replaced with a world map.

“For years, world war has been prevented thanks to the threat of nuclear fire. Something that everyone should rightly fear. However they have upset the balance and must be disposed of, something that even Einstein would agree with. So, I have taken the liberty of disposing the said nuclear devices into one of three places. Certain missiles were capable of reaching space, these missiles have been deactivated and will have just launched by the time this message reaches you. Many of you will be getting sudden updates any second now,”

As if on que, the American Vice President’s personal, emergency phone lit up with reports. Many of the other powers were getting similar status updates. The President of South Africa however, did not receive a one out of all the countries with nuclear capability, as they had long disassembled their own arsenal in the pursuit of peace.

The map began to light up with crosses marking nuclear silos.

“The rest of these devices have been disassembled with meticulous care and are either being, piece by piece, thrown into the Marianas trench within the hour. Or being sent through the world mail in bits and pieces to random citizens in random countries. You see, much of this has already been conducted, this video is merely me telling the world what has happened.”

The Director faded back into view, “it is things like these that I am sure will make you reconsider Vulcan’s pleas. However you must be wary as I have one final ace up my sleeve. Total War. You see, I have networked together many of the terrorist organisations of the world and formed up instructions for them to attack certain locations in a certain way at a certain time. Each attack may be as small as a number of deaths or economic terrorism equal to the world trade centre collapse.” The Director grinned, “I know where man is weak, you all know this. If I were you, I’d be getting ready for the changes which I will wrought upon you, those who have been mired in personal gain and power instead of providing what got you your power. Overseeing the world.”

With that, the message ended. Everyone in the room was silent, every now and then a new status update would ring through the room as entire nations realised their nuclear silos had been emptied, guards riddled with bullets.

“I told you so,” was all Vulcan could say.

Disgusted with their inaction and now that they had lost their greatest weapons, their pleaful gazes he walked off towards Falcon.

“Falcon, let’s get back to the war,”

The dark haired man grinned, “With pleasure,”

Falcon fell in beside Vulcan as the two of them left the silent UN headquarters. The only sound they could hear was their boots on the hard ground.