Chapter 45: My Condolences

I started observing the blueprint, seeing if the base had anything in it that the base needed to remain functional. After a couple seconds, I spotted a nuclear reactor, deep in the middle of the facility.

Hmm, that's good. A classic 'destroy the reactor and destroy the entire building with it' scenario, I thought to myself.

Noticing something weird about the blueprint, I thought Wait a minute. There's nothing in the base that would require a reactor's power.

Then why use a reactor, Hope asked.

"Take a guess," I heard a voice say in front of me. I saw a dark blue light being shot out of the top right corner of the blueprint, and I followed the light to a man in dark blue jeans, a black suit, and a white tie. The man had the darkest possible brown eyes one could have, and he also had white skin and brown hair.

I noticed he looked very similar to Rowan, so I said with a hateful expression "Robert."

"Wow, you're a smart cookie," the man responded.

"So, let me guess, you somehow put a fail safe on the swords that allowed you to come to me as a hologram whenever I made something with the swords, back when your family had them in your possession?"

"Hah! Good guess, but... no. I have other ways of talking with you whenever I want. This one is just the first I've used," Robert answered.

"Bet you're pretty upset we've been destroying the armies you sent after us."

Before Robert could respond, I continued, saying "Or, let me guess. You see us as a 'test' for your soldiers, and whomever can kill me and bring back Rowan is prime general material?"

Seeing I was finally done talking, Robert explained "Part of the reason, yeah. Now... I bet that you're pretty pissed to see me."

"What made you think that," I said sarcastically. I tried to show as little emotion as possible, because I knew Robert was going to try and rile me up.

"Oh I don't know. I just thought that you'd still care that I killed your parents. But then again, guess I should've suspected you forgot about them."

Dammit. I walked straight into that one.

I tried with all my strength to hide the intense hate for Robert boiling up in me, a hate so intense it could light my blood on fire.

"What was that they said? 'Follow your heart, and let your mind guide you'," Robert said as he placed his hand under his chin in a thinking pose.

"How did you..."

Ignoring my obvious confusion, he said "Oh, actually, I just realized I forgot that you never actually saw your parents die! Lucky you! Well, guess I can make up for that by telling you how it happened."

Please, don't.

"They rushed into battle, screaming out for everybody to retreat. They fought by themselves, distracting my army so everybody could escape. They were pretty decent, managing to distract my entire army. They could've destroyed it all, if it wasn't for me," he said menacingly.

No, no no no... please... don't.

"They didn't even stand a chance against me. They barely survived a minute. But oh boy, were they fun. Definitely the most satisfying kills I've ever had."

"SHUT UP," I yelled out as I grabbed the sword next to be and threw it at the hologram, but saw it went straight through it.

"Just imagine, seeing the light leave their eyes, the both of them knowing... that my victory is inevitable."